• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I want to cry reading this.. *warning DOC*

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 9:56 AM
  • 35 Replies

This was in my local paper happened down the road from my grams house.  It just breaks my heart reading it I couldn't imagine being the driver or father. All that guilt.

A 2-year-old boy was killed Tuesday afternoon after he was struck by a vehicle on East Pleasant Valley Boulevard, Logan Township police said.

The boy, Tyler Shane Irwin of 1507 E. Pleasant Valley Blvd., Apt. C, was taken to Altoona Regional Trauma Center, where he was pronounced dead shortly after the 5:04 p.m. accident, Police Chief Ron Heller said.

The toddler avoided three vehicles in the northbound lane when he darted into traffic from an apartment building across the street from the Greenwood Volunteer Fire Company, Heller said. Two of the drivers said they saw him enter the road after the first vehicle missed the boy.

"They said they don't know how that car missed him," he said.

The boy was struck in the southbound lane by an Altoona driver of a Ford Escape.

No charges will be filed against the driver as the investigation currently stands, Heller said.

An early reconstruction of the crash indicated the Escape's driver was traveling at a speed "significantly lower" than the road's 40 mph speed limit when the boy darted into his path, Heller said.

"He had no opportunity to stop," Heller said.

The boy's father had left the house to get change from his vehicle and cross the street to a garage to get a soda, Blair County Deputy Coroner Paul Kerns said. While he was gone, the boy got out of the house and tried to walk across the boulevard.

"He never knew the boy left the house and followed him,"?Kerns said.

An autopsy will be performed today at Mount Nittany Medical Center in State College, but it is believed that Tyler died from multiple blunt-force trauma, Kerns said.

Logan Township Patrolman Matt Lindsey was called to the scene to reconstruct the accident. He took measurements and checked the Escape as part of the investigation.

Traffic was diverted from East Pleasant Valley Boulevard to Bucknell Lane immediately after the accident, causing congestion on the area's back roads.

The road was eventually closed between Rutgers and Lehigh lanes for about three hours while police completed the accident reconstruction, leaving the area unusually quiet during the peak of rush hour.

by on May. 26, 2010 at 9:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
armywife2009101
by on May. 26, 2010 at 9:58 AM

Thats so so sad.

amomynous_j
by on May. 26, 2010 at 9:58 AM

what does DOC stand for?

southernjess3
by on May. 26, 2010 at 10:00 AM

idiot fucking father. a fucking two year old. i dont care if it was across the damn street...

adyks45

This just breaks my heart. How sad. However the dad should not have left his two year old alone in the house. If he needed a soda that bad he should have carried him with him.

BlessedToBMommy

scary! How many of us can say we've never walked out  to check the mail or take out the trash for two seconds while the kids were napping or occupied? I do it every day, granted my mailbox is right  at the front of the house literally like 15 feet, but still.

JADIEBUG

Agreed.

Quoting southernjess3:

idiot fucking father. a fucking two year old. i dont care if it was across the damn street...

BlessedToBMommy
by on May. 26, 2010 at 10:01 AM

death of child

Quoting amomynous_j:

what does DOC stand for?

o0gone0o
by Platinum Member on May. 26, 2010 at 10:05 AM

I've gone outside but never across the street. Which is why I didn't want to throw blame to the father. It wasn't wise not w/ that road being as busy as it is during rush hour. But so many of us have done it w/o thinking.

Quoting BlessedToBMommy:

scary! How many of us can say we've never walked out  to check the mail or take out the trash for two seconds while the kids were napping or occupied? I do it every day, granted my mailbox is right  at the front of the house literally like 15 feet, but still.

daspencer08
by on May. 26, 2010 at 10:21 AM
poor little guy. sounds to me like he just wanted his daddy. i would hate to live with that guilt.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ArmyGal
by Platinum Member on May. 26, 2010 at 10:25 AM

Yeah I've done it too. My daughter just figured out how to open doors. I went out to do the laundry, it's in my garage, and my daughter opened the door. Scary!

Quoting o0gone0o:

I've gone outside but never across the street. Which is why I didn't want to throw blame to the father. It wasn't wise not w/ that road being as busy as it is during rush hour. But so many of us have done it w/o thinking.

Quoting BlessedToBMommy:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)