Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My child is automatically a brat because I am a stay at home mom? Thoughts/opinions?

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 10:22 AM
  • 28 Replies

Now I've heard everything.

My cousin keeps going on and on about how she is a better mom because she is a working mom and I am a stay at home mom.  She got with a guy that already had 3 kids and just had a baby.  She thinks because 'she has older kids' that she knows everything abot being a mom.  I told her come see me when she has actually raised a kid.

Then she goes on to say that my daughter is a brat 'because she never has to leave her mommy' in her words.  My daughter is not here every day with me and she is also around other kids.  I just don't put her in daycare/use a sitter for her because I have no need to.  I would much rather stay at home with her because we are fine on money for me to do so.

DD is 2 and is very polite, she uses 'please' and 'thank you' all the time and that seems to surprise people when we are out.  She also knows her colors, shapes, numbers up to 10, animals, animal noises and so forth because I work with her a lot on stuff and she learns a lot on Nick Jr. as well. 

My cousin thinks because I am at home all day that I am sitting around all day and not doing anything.  I guess my house cleans itself, my laundry stays clean on it's own and dinner just cooks itself as well as DD does everything by herself as well?

What are your thoughts on this, do you think a child is more likely to be bratty just because they aren't going to daycare/babysitter every day?  Quite frankly I find this ridiculous and one of the funnier assumptions I have heard about SAHM's.

by on May. 26, 2010 at 10:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommas3cubs
by on May. 26, 2010 at 10:23 AM

Sounds like your cousin deep down is jealous of you. I would not worry about it. I have been a stay at home mom For a long time now and my kids are the most caring loving unselfish kids you would ever meet.

My kids are brats, but not that kind of brat. Just like I am a brat, so my husband says LOL! Hey what can I say I learned from the best, My mom and the boys learned from the best Me..

wedding websites

Just_Bethy
by on May. 26, 2010 at 10:24 AM

Sounds like someone is jealous!...I have been a SAHM for 14 years and non of my 4 are brats!...

-xoxo-

Kids become brats when their parents refuse to discipline them and let them run everything. It doesn't matter what the mother and father do for a living, brats can come from anyone. 

josiphene

I think thats dumb

littleluvkitty
by Platinum Member on May. 26, 2010 at 10:26 AM

sounds to me that she envies you.

andreaw03
by on May. 26, 2010 at 10:26 AM

I say Screw Her!  No....obviously your child is  not a brat....brats don't say please and thank you....and act like little hellions! :) Sounds like a smart kiddo, too!  She really has no room to speak, until she raises a child from birth as well! :)

futureshock
by Emerald Member on May. 26, 2010 at 10:28 AM

Quoting pookie_1228:

Now I've heard everything.

My cousin keeps going on and on about how she is a better mom because she is a working mom and I am a stay at home mom.  She got with a guy that already had 3 kids and just had a baby.  She thinks because 'she has older kids' that she knows everything abot being a mom.  I told her come see me when she has actually raised a kid.

Then she goes on to say that my daughter is a brat 'because she never has to leave her mommy' in her words.  My daughter is not here every day with me and she is also around other kids.  I just don't put her in daycare/use a sitter for her because I have no need to.  I would much rather stay at home with her because we are fine on money for me to do so.

DD is 2 and is very polite, she uses 'please' and 'thank you' all the time and that seems to surprise people when we are out.  She also knows her colors, shapes, numbers up to 10, animals, animal noises and so forth because I work with her a lot on stuff and she learns a lot on Nick Jr. as well. 

My cousin thinks because I am at home all day that I am sitting around all day and not doing anything.  I guess my house cleans itself, my laundry stays clean on it's own and dinner just cooks itself as well as DD does everything by herself as well?

What are your thoughts on this, do you think a child is more likely to be bratty just because they aren't going to daycare/babysitter every day?  Quite frankly I find this ridiculous and one of the funnier assumptions I have heard about SAHM's.

Is your cousin even married?  Where is bio dad?  So she is shacking up with a guy to whom she is not married, she is not with bio dad, and she's a better mother than you?  How long has she known this guy? 

AND she just had a baby with this guy?

(lol, I am imitating Dr. Laura in case some of you didn't figure that out.)

misunderstood1
by on May. 26, 2010 at 10:28 AM

everyone has an opinion and everyone is going to give it to you. just ignore it. she may be jealous of you or she may just be a bitch in general, either way I wouldn't put much stock into what she says. 

Lizardannie1966

I gotta agree with a couple of posters....sounds like your cousin is a wee bit jealous and is lashing out.

Don't allow her to belittle you like this. Let her know, even if it's in just a sit-down conversation, that her comments are offensive and hurtful. Let her know that you require respect and that while she may have more experience as far as years as a Mom, that this doesn't give her the right to be so condescending and rude. And let her know that if she can't seem to hold back from being so rude, maybe she shouldn't come around anymore.

Sometimes it really does take standing up for yourself....no yelling, no cussing and just being calm and straight-forward....to get someone to back-off.

To answer your question, your child is not a "brat." She's blessed to have you with her every day.

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says~~ "Oh Crap, She's Up!"

AjsMom0508

Haha this is the biggest load of bull I've ever heard.  I JUST got a part time job.  I have a 2 year old and for the first 2 years of his life he was home with me.  Compared to parents who stick their children in daycare my son is both smarter and more well behaved.  He knows the ABC's, can count, signs, etc.  He also does not throw tantrums in public or try to run away.  He is extremely polite and says please all the time.  Is he spoiled?  Yep but in the good way not the way that turns kids into brats. Your cousin is crazy. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)