Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Has anyone ever had any sort of identity theft?

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:18 AM
  • 13 Replies

I recently had a virus on my computer that steals financial information and credit card information.  I was lucky and nothing WAS stolen.....but I know friends who this has happened to.

by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
H_H_M
by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:22 AM

no one?

easinpc
by Silver Member on May. 26, 2010 at 11:24 AM

BUMP!

H_H_M
by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:26 AM

I am real curious as to what you had to do.  I had to cancel and reissue my cards.  That alone was a pain.

MarleighsMommy
by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:26 AM

I haven't personally.  I do taxes though and I helped a lady this year that had her identity stolen for tax purposes.  Someone used her social security number and filed a tax return online claiming 3 dependants.  They used her real address and her name.  The person actually received some money and we went through HELL with the IRS trying to prove that it was not her.  She's married and has no dependants.  It was crazy.  She's still getting letters from the IRS trying to make her pay the money back that the other person got and it delayed her tax refund.  She still hasn't gotten it.   She didn't realize that someone had done that until she came in to file her own taxes and the IRS rejected it as a "duplicate" return.  Crazy stuff.

MarleighsMommy
by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:30 AM

You have to put a fraud alert on your credit with one of the major credit reporters (experian, equifax...).  We also sent a letter to the Federal Trade Commision.   We checked her credit report to make sure everything on there was actually hers.  It was. 

Quoting H_H_M:

I am real curious as to what you had to do.  I had to cancel and reissue my cards.  That alone was a pain.

srose73
by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:32 AM

I had it, but didnt know it until tax time.They were using my ss# for a job in another state. I think the hardest part was convincing that job that it wasnt me, so  I filed a police report and used that to show proof that I had a problem. They fired whoever it was and I never heard what happened to that person.. Then I contacted Equifax and those other companies to change my records.

oboe_chik
by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:32 AM

Someone hacked into my paypal account and tried to buy $1700 worth of computer equipment from HP. Paypal didn't catch it and neither did my bank. HP auctually was the one that stopped the payments because the person couldn't verify my email address attached to the paypal account (which wasn't hard it was myfirstnamelastname@hotmail.com lol). 

Did you or are you working full time, juggling kids, a career and who knows what else? If so click on the picture to share your stories!

TinaN64
by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:36 AM

I have.  Once.  Someone snagged my debit card number and made an $800 purchase from a business in Birmingham, England.  My bank caught it within 10 hours, and called me. 

Cancelled the debit and got a new one. 

JMVITT
by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:37 AM

Sort of.  My so called friends years ago stole my identity to get into an apartment.  Luckily they didn't screw over the lease and didn't hurt my credit.  I didn't know they did this until a couple years later when I checked my credit report. 

L33T_G4MER
by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:37 AM

I have, I am still trying to get stuff fixed, after almost a year.

~Annie~

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)