Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyones children had their tonsils out?

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:24 AM
  • 13 Replies

My son is 10 years old and has absolutely ENORMOUS tonsils. They cause him to snore and we have to watch him for signs of sleep apnea because there is a chance that they could begin to obstruct his breathing.. But they won't take them out until either 1) sleep apnea sets in or 2) he has strep throat 3 times in one year. 

Well the school nurse just called to let me know that she thinks he has strep throat. This will be the 3rd time since November. I'm kind of happy because I think having them out will be beneficial but also nervous. Any kind of surgery on your own child is hard to think about. So has anyone had their child's tonsils out? How was the pain? How long was the recovery? Any little bit of information are welcome. I've researched online but obviously clinical information is not the same as life experience. lol

by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
possummom
by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:26 AM

my twins had theirs taken out as well as their adnoids. it was the best thing for them. there were sick every month for a yr and a half. they were four at the time. they recovered very quickly. it might be the best thing for him. talk to your doc about it. and good luck.

gardenchic
by Gold Member on May. 26, 2010 at 11:27 AM

BOTH OF MINE, WITH ADNOIDS TOO,,,, UM,, MY SON THREW UP BLOOD AFTER WE GOT HOME, BUT BOTH WERE FINE, JUST NEED TO BE WATCHED WITH SOFT FOOD., AND I AM glad i did it, THEY BOTH HAD SO MANY PROBLEMS BEFORE THEY WERE OUT.

SuperPickle
by Ruby Member on May. 26, 2010 at 11:28 AM

my oldest had his out when he was 4, it was overnight in the hospital. He had the earliest surgery slot so he was in the hospital all day too. He was very sleepy but didnt complain too much. We were released early AM the next day. He stayed on the couch for the first day. He HATED the pain meds and would cry which made the pain worse. He was pretty much back to himself on day 3. I kept him down, watching movies until I couldnt hold him anymore on day 4.

Popsicles were his favorite. Ice Cream was too coating, no dairy at all was allowed. COLD pureed foods, applesauce, he LOVED a little pumpkin thing I made. It was kind of like pumpkin pie filling.

LadySandoval
by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:35 AM

Would you mind sharing the recipe? :)

Quoting SuperPickle:

my oldest had his out when he was 4, it was overnight in the hospital. He had the earliest surgery slot so he was in the hospital all day too. He was very sleepy but didnt complain too much. We were released early AM the next day. He stayed on the couch for the first day. He HATED the pain meds and would cry which made the pain worse. He was pretty much back to himself on day 3. I kept him down, watching movies until I couldnt hold him anymore on day 4.

Popsicles were his favorite. Ice Cream was too coating, no dairy at all was allowed. COLD pureed foods, applesauce, he LOVED a little pumpkin thing I made. It was kind of like pumpkin pie filling.

LadySandoval
by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:36 AM

Thank you for the responses. It makes me feel better that none of you have experienced any serious issues with it. I'll admit I'm a protective mommy and all this freaks me out a little. lol

FairyRed
by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:39 AM

M y DD had hers taken out when she was 4 due to large tonsils, she snored and talked like she was stuffy all the time. She never did get sick w strep. Wonder why your doc decide to wait? She did have to have speech therapy to relearn how to talk now that she could hear better.the adnoids blocked her ears. It was an in-out type hospital visit, minimal pain, had ice cream in the recovery room, had to use afrin for couple days, she was good to go after 2 days. Stock up on ice cream..(reduces bleeding,swelling) jello, soups..and lots of TLC!

MiddletonFamily

My nephew use to get sick all the time but after her had his tonsils out he hasn't been sick hardly at all. Technology is so much better than it use to be.

TinaN64

My daughter, youngest, had hers and her adenoids out.  Pain, she says was like really bad sore throat, but nothing she wanted meds for.

She, contrary to popular belief, did not want cold stuff.  Said it hurt.  She drank what seemed like gallons of chicken broth.  Her doctor said that helped the healing because of the salt. 

You just have to check on him for the first couple days, while he's sleeping, to make sure he doesn't bleed.  Other than that, they feel SO MUCH better that it's worth all the pain and whining.  You will actually be in more pain from the whining (LOL) than he will from the surgery.

cowboygal
by Gold Member on May. 26, 2010 at 11:40 AM

My ds had his out when he was 2.5. They were swollen for a year or more. They affected him talking and he is still in speech therapy at 6.5. This summer he is more than likely getting tubes in his ears. He has had a double ear infection since March. He healed fast. They wanted him to stay overnight since he was so young but by 5 that night they let us go. He was making the nurses chase him all over the peds floor to get vitals. They said watch him. Probably helped they knew my mom was a peds nurse but still.

zolanmel
by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:43 AM

my  19 month old had hers out. the first week was hard. the second was to  but thats because she got sick on top of her recovery.

hers were HUGE. caused apnea,snoring,difficulty eating.

good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)