Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

help with 4 year old and sharing?

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 12:02 PM
  • 3 Replies

My DS is 14 months old. Recently, I started watching my friends 4 year old a couple days a week. Half the point of watching her is to get her ready and used to the idea of having a little brother, and also to get her used to sharing because she's starting preschool in august.. My friend is having a baby in august as well. (the other half obviously being my friend needs someone to watch her while she's at work. At the same time though, she could just as easily go to her grandmother's house.) Up until now she has been an only child, and hasn't had much socialization aside from other kids at the park sometimes and her two cousins who are a little bit older than her. If she wants a toy her cousins are playing with, they just give it to her... Anyway, she is not doing well with sharing at all. She goes as far as trying to hide my son's toys so he can't play with them. If she's playing with one toy, and sees him go and pick up another toy that she had just been playing with, she runs and grabs it from him. She absolutely refuses to play WITH him. He loves her and tries to follow her around a lot. She starts crying and screaming "get him away from me, I don't want him near me. I don't want to play with him." and then goes on about how she doesn't want to play with him, or any other kids, she just wants to play with grown ups. I get that he's a lot younger than her, and that he annoys her sometimes. I'm not going to make her play with my son if she doesn't want to. However, I am going to make her share, especially since they're HIS toys. She would literally rather lay on top of the toys, than actually play with them, just so he can't have them. I'm to the point where I'm thinking about putting ALL of his toys away when she comes over, and telling her if she can't share them, then she has to bring her own toys to play with. At the same time though, thats not fair to my son because he won't have anything to play with while she's over. Time outs aren't working either. I'm not ready to just give up and tell my friend I can't watch her daughter anymore just yet, but if it comes to that I'll have to. Does anyone have any suggestions?

by on May. 26, 2010 at 12:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
mommy492006
by on May. 26, 2010 at 12:07 PM

bring her toys and say if she wants to play with his he gets to play with hers

ninipanini
by Ruby Member on May. 26, 2010 at 12:10 PM

Life is a funny thing and a great teacher.  She'll learn, oh how she'll learn.  Only grown ups indeed.  LOL

tinkerxbell
by danger will robinson on May. 26, 2010 at 12:31 PM

I'll have to try that. thanks

Quoting mommy492006:

bring her toys and say if she wants to play with his he gets to play with hers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)