• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sex Education in Kindergarten...OPINIONS DESIRED. (edit added)

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 12:32 PM
  • 170 Replies

Courtesy of CNN today...see THIS and share what you think please.

It is a video of a classroom of K's learning about sex ed using anatomically correct dolls.

I think it is pretty cutting edge and I am not exactly opposed to it at first glance. It could serve to reduce pregnancies IMO.

What do you think? Over the top? Okay? Gross? lol

Comments requested.

ETA: As mentioned by responders, the terms "sex ed" are misleading. Be sure to watch the video rather than run with the gut reaction to "sex ed". Thx

by on May. 26, 2010 at 12:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Radarma
by Platinum Member on May. 26, 2010 at 12:35 PM

BUMP!

This board is moving fast today.

laranadtony
by Emerald Member on May. 26, 2010 at 12:36 PM

Well,seeing that some girls are menstruating as young as 7 or 8 as opposed to 9 to 16 in the past,it might be a good time to start teaching as long as it is kept on their level.

Jadegirl1819
by on May. 26, 2010 at 12:38 PM

Here's a bump. I wouldn't be happy if they taught that in my childs K class.  It's too young IMO

Radarma
by Platinum Member on May. 26, 2010 at 12:38 PM

Yeah, I am not seeing any problem with this approach.

I am hoping others who disagree might chime in.

amber_1024
by on May. 26, 2010 at 12:39 PM

I personally don't think it should be taught to Kindergartners.

But that's my opinion.

laranadtony
by Emerald Member on May. 26, 2010 at 12:39 PM

Quoting Jadegirl1819:

Here's a bump. I wouldn't be happy if they taught that in my childs K class.  It's too young IMO

Not necessarily.I know that is just your opinion but I think the earlier the better.

We should be in awe at the gift of having children rather than obsessed by our rights as a mother!

Radarma
by Platinum Member on May. 26, 2010 at 12:41 PM

Quoting amber_1024:

I personally don't think it should be taught to Kindergartners.

But that's my opinion.

Can you say more? What would the "harm/risk" be is what I wonder?

laranadtony
by Emerald Member on May. 26, 2010 at 12:42 PM

I am going to embarrass myself here.........I remember at 5 and 6 seeing tampons in the bathroom cabinet and wondering what they were for.I could not read but there was a diagram and I cannot tell you how many times I tried to put them in my butt.I started  my period at 9 and knew NOTHING.A male principal had to tell me.

asmcbride
by on May. 26, 2010 at 12:43 PM

I wouldn't want anyone teaching my child sex ed at that age, but I also don't trust the school system to do it at all. This is a subject we will cover at home.  

chelleybeans
by on May. 26, 2010 at 12:45 PM

I watched a documentary about another country (I can't remeber which one, Denmark maybe?) that taught their kids about sex starting at 5yrs of age. They have the LOWEST pregnancy rate in the world it said. They strongly believe it is because they have taught the children about sex and safe sex at such a young age. I am for it and intend to always teach my children about it since I know I can not rely on schools to do that for me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)