• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

hey u all with big big dogs like danes or mastiffs.

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 12:55 PM
  • 24 Replies
we just got a dane/mastiff mix. we were told her was 15 weeks so his size did not look that big. but we took him to the vet eysterday and he is only 9 weeks. and he's already 35 pounds. vet says he is taking after the dane in him weight and hight wise. is he heavy or light for being dane/mastiff. ? i did not know he was gonna be this big.they never said he was mastff/dane so we had to take him to vet to find out what breed or mix he was. so now i'm a little scared lol. what should i know about these dogs? he is so loving and so kind. loves the kids. very relaxed and calm.and almost potty trained. i love him to pieces justbwant some more info. tnx guys. sorry if any misspellings. i am norwegian and typing on my cell :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 26, 2010 at 12:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
--Nicole--
by on May. 26, 2010 at 12:56 PM

Since it is mixed with those 2 breeds, it is best to schedule regular vet checkups b/c both those breeds can get major health problems. Just research both breeds really well.

This is what your admission looks like behind closed doors!

A lifetime of abuse and lockdown Click for more info!

luv2wahm
by on May. 26, 2010 at 12:56 PM

Our English mastiff tips the scales at 172.She is a gentle giant..

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

kittygurl1234
by on May. 26, 2010 at 12:59 PM

We adopted our Dane last month he is 2.5 yrs old. We LOVE him. Yes he's huge and knocks the kids over but he doesn't do it on purpose. He just walks by slow and the kids just topple over. lol

Rianad1
by on May. 26, 2010 at 12:59 PM

My parents have two great danes and used to have a mastiff(she passed away 2 yrs ago).  The male dane is about 3and a half feet from floor to top of his head, he weighs about 245, the female dane is about 3 feet from floor to head and weigs about 185.  The female mastiff was about three feet from floor to head and weighed about 200.  The are great dogs, I would have one if I had more room.  Two things though, make sure that their food bowl is elevated because bending down to the floor to eat can cause problems, and the are not outside dogs, I know that seems crazy with as big as they are but the just don't do well outside all the time.

kittygurl1234
by on May. 26, 2010 at 1:01 PM

foreveryoung84
by on May. 26, 2010 at 1:02 PM
tnx ya thats what our vet said. so we got him on this plan where u pay a little a month and it's kinda like insurance for dogs. and the vet will see him every 3 weeks until one. and if he ever gets sick it's covered. i don't know much about these dogs and i feel bad cause i normally research a lot before i get a dog.b ut this was a rescue dog and the place he lived was horrible. i just had to take him. so now i'm reading all i can about it. so any help is appriciated

Quoting --Nicole--:

Since it is mixed with those 2 breeds, it is best to schedule regular vet checkups b/c both those breeds can get major health problems. Just research both breeds really well.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
luv2wahm
by on May. 26, 2010 at 1:04 PM

Another name for dane/mastiff mixes are Gladiator Danes..you may find information using this as well.

Quoting foreveryoung84:

we just got a dane/mastiff mix. we were told her was 15 weeks so his size did not look that big. but we took him to the vet eysterday and he is only 9 weeks. and he's already 35 pounds. vet says he is taking after the dane in him weight and hight wise. is he heavy or light for being dane/mastiff. ? i did not know he was gonna be this big.they never said he was mastff/dane so we had to take him to vet to find out what breed or mix he was. so now i'm a little scared lol. what should i know about these dogs? he is so loving and so kind. loves the kids. very relaxed and calm.and almost potty trained. i love him to pieces justbwant some more info. tnx guys. sorry if any misspellings. i am norwegian and typing on my cell :)

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

foreveryoung84
by on May. 26, 2010 at 1:08 PM
holy moly. those are some big dogs u guys have posted lol. they look real sweet tho. tnx for all the info guys i'd post a pick of mine but my cell wont let me.but he's already taller then my just turned one year old boy. i have heard not ti tie them up outside? it can make them aggressive? so we have him inside biut i walk him every night.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jothra
by on May. 26, 2010 at 1:10 PM

Wow, I thought my baby was big. Stuart little (named from the breeder because he was the runt) had parvo as a baby, so he was on the small side at 10 lbs when we got him at 8 wks. Can't remember how fast he grew, but he grew and stopped at 135. I wanna say he was 120 by one yr. I thought he was big =) Makes our current sweet thing look tiny at 73 lbs!

--Nicole--
by on May. 26, 2010 at 1:11 PM

Awesome!! Well hopefully you don't have to use the insurance! They are awesome pets. Well good for you for takin such good care of him and trying to get all the facts about them!!

Quoting foreveryoung84:

tnx ya thats what our vet said. so we got him on this plan where u pay a little a month and it's kinda like insurance for dogs. and the vet will see him every 3 weeks until one. and if he ever gets sick it's covered. i don't know much about these dogs and i feel bad cause i normally research a lot before i get a dog.b ut this was a rescue dog and the place he lived was horrible. i just had to take him. so now i'm reading all i can about it. so any help is appriciated

Quoting --Nicole--:

This is what your admission looks like behind closed doors!

A lifetime of abuse and lockdown Click for more info!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)