Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My Grandfathers Doctor is an insensitive jerk!!(Vent!) See my reply on the bottom of the first page.

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 1:20 PM
  • 15 Replies

I really don't like him at all! If your going to be a Doctor have a heart! I know Doctors see many patients daily, and its there job, but still! I love my Grandfather! Don't Doctors understand to us, its personal!! This is our family, not just another patient! 

So Monday he went to another petscan appointment. We have the results on a disk. 

Today he went to a follow up appointment and the Doctor did not even look at the disk we brought to him from the other office. I am ASSUMING he saw it, but what was the point in us bringing it to him?!

Then he said some cancer cells are coming off, and he recommended my Grandfather gaining 5 pounds and then doing another Chemo treatment in 2 weeks. 

My mom said, "Well he does not want to do any more treatments because they make him really sick and he has lost 40 pounds, and cant sleep, and he is having severe back pain now, what are his other options?" 

The Doctor says, "Well if he does not go to any more treatments then we can just set up hospice at his house" 

Really??? WTF!!!! I just felt the way he came out was rude and heartless. He does not give a shit about my Grandfather and this just pisses me off, at least act like you care. 

So if he has to set up hospice at the house, and his back pain is getting worse, how long does he have? The Doctor won't tell us! Why!!!!!! 

We want to know so the family can all see him before anything happens. I mean I see him and my mom, but I mean extended family. 

Vent over. :(

The top picture was taken last year when he was good and healthy, I am next to him. 

This picture was taken in March of this year after his second Chemotherapy treatment. You can see his face is much thinner. My uncle is sitting next to him. 

by on May. 26, 2010 at 1:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sweetheart5703
by on May. 26, 2010 at 1:27 PM

bump

angellove29115
by on May. 26, 2010 at 1:34 PM

They will not be able to give you a set time limit on how long he has,  I have seen people on hospice for over a year.  If your grandfather decides he doesnt want treatment anymore then hospice is the best bet.  Hospice job is to make him as comfortable as possible.  Im sorry you have had a bad experience with his doctor though.  Good luck on this decision, I know it is hard.

NCMommy2be
by on May. 26, 2010 at 1:35 PM

What a TOTAL ASSHOLE!

mommas3cubs
by on May. 26, 2010 at 1:36 PM

I don't think the doc doesn't give a crap. he cannot force your grandfather to take chemo, if your grandfather decides not to take chemo the only thing the doc can do is get ready to set up hospice. could he have worded it different? Yes, but in the end it is still the same. He is going to have to have hospice at his home to take care of him his last few months. I am sorry you and your family are going through this.

angellove29115
by on May. 26, 2010 at 1:40 PM

I do have an idea,  why dont you guys have a get together for the extended family can come before your grandfathers health gets to bad so he can enjoy it.  Maybe have a potluck or barbque at the house your grandfather stays at.  That way he will be comfortable and can rest when he needs it.

Benjamins-mama
by on May. 26, 2010 at 1:47 PM

If a doctor gets emotionally involved, imagine how hard it would be to tell a patient his diagnosis.  not saying a doctor should be heartless but they have to remain objective.  I know its hard to see a family member sick but if he refuses chemo then hospice is the next step. 

no doctor can tell you exactly how long he has left.  they aren't god.  yeah they could give an estimate but wouldn't you rather enjoy the time you have left however long that is instead of worrying about how much longer.  instead focus on spending as much time with him as you can.

sweetheart5703
by on May. 26, 2010 at 1:48 PM

I was thinking this today as well. I may have to set something up. 

Quoting angellove29115:

I do have an idea,  why dont you guys have a get together for the extended family can come before your grandfathers health gets to bad so he can enjoy it.  Maybe have a potluck or barbque at the house your grandfather stays at.  That way he will be comfortable and can rest when he needs it.

stefvan
by on May. 26, 2010 at 1:49 PM

I'd rather have a doctor be bold and speak the truth then sugar coat something. 

MovalMomsADMIN
by on May. 26, 2010 at 1:50 PM

im sorry and good luck

sweetheart5703
by on May. 26, 2010 at 1:53 PM

Well the reason I me and my mom wanted to know was because someone I knows Grandfather had cancer and said he had 3 months and only made it to half that time. I know its not important but its more so we can prepare ourselves mentally I guess I don't know. The thing I don't understand is a few months ago this doctor gave my Grandfather hope and said the spot on his lung was small and just do a few treatments and it should go away. That was in February of this year, Just 3 months ago. Now all of a sudden, he has had three treatments, the spot has not changed and yet he is in stage 4? How did that happen in 3 months?? Thats what is so frustrating to me. I looked up his Doctor online and apparently he has 21 years experience, so I would ASSUME he knows what he is talking about. But how did it go from him having a chance to him dying in 3 months?? Its frustrating to me. 

Quoting Benjamins-mama:

If a doctor gets emotionally involved, imagine how hard it would be to tell a patient his diagnosis.  not saying a doctor should be heartless but they have to remain objective.  I know its hard to see a family member sick but if he refuses chemo then hospice is the next step. 

no doctor can tell you exactly how long he has left.  they aren't god.  yeah they could give an estimate but wouldn't you rather enjoy the time you have left however long that is instead of worrying about how much longer.  instead focus on spending as much time with him as you can.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)