• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Grandparent Question

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 1:24 PM
  • 23 Replies

Another post got me thinking of something:

Do both sets of grandparents(or all sets if they have more than 2) participate equally in your children's lives?

Like are their maternal grandparents & their paternal grandparents both involved with them, visit them the same amount, have them over the same, etc

I just wonder b/c my kids have 4 sets of grandparents but only my mom & hubby's dad(& both step-parents) are really involved with the kids-like go to their sports, visit & spend time with them, will watch them or have them spend the night.

And its pretty much the same with most of the friends I have-one set of grandparents are more involved.

So what about you?

by on May. 26, 2010 at 1:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
adrianasmommy07
by on May. 26, 2010 at 1:26 PM

My DH's parents get to see DD more, and do more with her simply because my Mom and step dad live 350 miles away and they are here. My father is no longer allowed in her life, even though he wasnt there much to begin with.

pixie_trix
by on May. 26, 2010 at 1:27 PM

Neither set are (nor have they been) very active in my son's life.

My son is 18 years old. He has seen is maternal grandmother 3 times (paternal grandfather has been gone for 30 years).   And he has never met his Paternal grandparents in person.

Now. He does email my mother, once a week or so. Speaks to her own the phone occasionally (just briefly usually when her and I talk..and we talk once a week to once every two weeks)....    His paternal grandmother he speaks to on the phone maybe one to two times a year for a couple of minutes..

That's it as far as grandparent involvement in my son's life.

mysteriousmom06
by on May. 26, 2010 at 1:31 PM

BUMP!

poshkat
by on May. 26, 2010 at 1:33 PM

nope. my mother lives in israel so she isnt around. my dad lives 5 minutes away so he sees aiden on a regular basis. hubbies mom and step dad live 4 hours away but even when we go see them we dont stay long. hubbies forster parents also live 4 hours away and we go spend weekends with them all the time, we talk everyday and we have tons of pics to show each other all the time. hubbies dad is presona non grata, no idea where he is, but his mother (hubbies maternal grandma) more than makes up for that. she is awsome

southernjess3
by on May. 26, 2010 at 1:35 PM

my husbands parents participate some..but they have a " golden grandchild" next door to them..so his grandparents make up for that here i guess...

punkmama27
by on May. 26, 2010 at 1:36 PM

My mom and stepdad are very active in my son's life, as are my DH's parents. My dad and his wife are not and frankly I am a-okay with them not being more involved. They had their chance and they messed up big time.

CountryGirl0809
by on May. 26, 2010 at 1:36 PM

My mom and her husband are ALOT more involved than my husbands parents.  they live 3 hrs away. But its got to now that even if they do come up here  they leave and go visit  friends instead of visiting with their granddaughter.    My grandparents hardly see DD  at all and lonly live 40 mins from here.   my dad and his new wife   has only saw my DD  3 times. and  only for a few mins each time.   They will NEVER see her again.  

singlemom416
by on May. 26, 2010 at 1:37 PM

My parents and my ex parents are involved with my dd life.Christmas,birthdays,sports,phone calls and random i love you cards.My dh parents dont do shit for my kid.No birthday presents,Christmas presents,no phone calls or visits but they are like that with their bio grandkids as well so i dont think they single my kid out.

ff-princess
by on May. 26, 2010 at 1:40 PM

no, my mom really only has a relationship with the male offspring.  I haven't seen her for  a few months now, and that's really fine.  she didn't even come to the babby's 1st birthday party, even though I gave a month's notice.  she does see my son as often as possible, which makes the difference in treatment even more obvious.

my in-laws, on the other hand, see the girls several times a week and are there for us whenever we need them.  I married into the family I wish I had.

audriesmommy
by on May. 26, 2010 at 1:40 PM

My parents and grandparents are very involved in my girls lives.  They see them a few times a week and are 1000 % devoted to my girls and my nephews.  My inlaws on the other hand are involved as much as they know how to be.  They just dont understand how to.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)