• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

WTF do I do? (JOB related) long

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 1:53 PM
  • 5 Replies

Here's the story - I work retail. Nothing important, just a cashier 35 hours a week at a local shoe store. My boss is absolutely HORRIBLE. He's asked me if I'm on birth control, and called me stupid. I put in my notice on Sunday. My last day is going to be June 11. 

I was off on Monday. Yesterday I worked 9:30 - 5. I had an absolutely HORRIBLE day where I got a flat tire, and hit a dog =( I got to work an hour late (I called of course. I'm not in trouble for that.) Well, yesterday as my shift was ending I did what we call "count down" which is basically where you just count the money in your drawer to make sure everything adds up. Well, as I'm typing in what money I have (you have to type in how many of each bill, coin, check, etc) it says I'm FIFTY dollars short! I didn't even know what to say as I am very careful with giving people change and such. My GM had already left, so the assistant manager and I sat there recounting everything over and over.

My asst manager asked me if anything weird happened that day. I explained this scenario - A lady came up and rang up about $50 in shoes. She paid me with a 100 dollar bill. I only had 5's and 1's to give her change, but she didn't want those. She asked if there was any way to get other change (20's or 10's) I call up my GM. He takes the $100 bill (I've already entered into the computer that she paid me with $100) OUT OF MY DRAWER and takes it to the back to get change. When he comes back, he hands the $100 TO THE CUSTOMER. I asked him why he did that, and he waved me off and walked away. I didn't know what to do as I was trying to figure out how much she owed me, and she just grabs her bag and leaves. I called my manager to my register again and asked him about it. He said it was fine and he'd figure it out later. Well, then my drawer came up $50 short (because she never actually paid for her shoes since he gave the $100 back to her.) 

My assistant manager and I sat in the back office and watched the video of it like 100 times. He clearly takes the money from my drawer, goes to get change, comes back and hands it to the customer. And you very clearly see me ask him what's going on (you can actually hear me ask) and everything.

My asst manager called my GM last night to ask him about it and he said that I probably STOLE IT and that I'm lying if I said he did anything wrong. WTF.

Well NOW - I have to go in @ 4:30 (a little less than 3 hours).  And my GM is going to be the only manager there. I DO NOT WANT TO GO IN. I'm tired of dealing with this guy! I KNOW and my assistant manager KNOWS I DID NOTHING WRONG. But unfortunately my GM has to be the one to handle it. WTF do I do? I know I didn't steal anything, but I have a feeling he's going to try to make it out to be my fault. I am not about to take the heat for this! 

So ladies, what would you do if you were me? I'm about to call out and say I'm not coming in JUST because I don't want to deal with my a$$hole boss! 

by on May. 26, 2010 at 1:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
jessasmamma
by on May. 26, 2010 at 1:57 PM
anyone?
jessasmamma
by on May. 26, 2010 at 2:00 PM

BUMP!

alberns303
by on May. 26, 2010 at 2:01 PM

Ummmm...they have human resources for a reason. You need to call corporate. The questions he asked you about birth control could be taken as sexual harassment if it made you uncomfortable. Also...he should not be calling any of his employees stupid.

roxy85
by on May. 26, 2010 at 2:04 PM

I would go in and if he says anything to you say very loudly "I WOULD PREFER TO DISCUSS THIS IN PRIVATE WHEN WE CAN REVIEW THE SECURITY TAPES TOGETHER" since it sounds like he might say something to you while in the front of the store and the security system was sensitive enough to catch you talking about him giving the customer the $100. That way there's video evidence of everything that he says or does to you. I would be contacting the corporate offices or whoever is above him for all of his bad behavior. ESPECIALLY giving the customer her full amount of money back.

momma_bear1
by on May. 26, 2010 at 2:05 PM

There has to be someone above your GM - he has to have a boss. I would be finding that person's phone number and calling them ASAP!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)