Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Serious What would you do question. PLEASE READ!! **EDIT another question**

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 2:14 PM
  • 53 Replies

I hope this doesn't get confusing, and I will try to explain it as well as I can and still keep it short. But I really need advice so PLEASE read it...I'm begging. =)

Ok, so say you know this family. It's a married couple, and they have 3 kids. The dad is the bio father to two of them, and step dad to the other one, and he is a cop.

The mom is a terrible crappy mother. She never does anything with the kids...EVER! She is also slightly crazy..(wish I was making that up..) She has spells, where she acts depressed, and lays around doing nothing for weeks on end (all while ignoring her kids and not even feeding them or dressing them..she sends the oldest to school in clothes from the day before and without breakfast), and then she has times where she is wild and crazy...worse than any teenager or young adult I have ever known. She goes out at all hours of the night (again ignoring her kids..leaving them home with the husband that doesn't really do much for them either)..hanging out with other men (even though she's married). Has random men come up to her work and hang out there for hours at a time.She drinks and throws parties around her kids...and at the most recent party..she and her husband both made out with a woman (the same one). They were trashed to the point of all of them throwing up..the husband (the cop) didn't go to work the next day because he had a major hangover and stayed up all night long. The worst part of all of this...the kids were in the house the entire time...and I don't mean just sleeping..they were awake. They were full blast partying around 7:30 PM.

Another little interesting tidbit is that one of the girls at the party was underage..and was getting completely trashed with the rest of them...in a COP'S house!!

Ok, so now you know the back ground... But let's say you are close to this family, and you love their children so much and it breaks your heart the way they are living and what they are growing up around.... What would you do??? What can be done??? I really need advice... There is another party planned for this Friday, and I can't stand to think that the kids will see more of this craziness!!!!

EDIT: I wanted to add a little more info. I am (closely) related to this family, but I live hours away from them and can't just go babysit the kids when things are bad. I was talking to DH about all of this, and he suggested that I should call them, and sort of give them fair warning, that things need to get better for those kids or bad things may happen... or suggest that I go ahead and take them for a while to give them a "break". But I really don' t know if that is a good idea. I would love to have those kids out of that house! And I'm afraid that doing things the "nice" way would only prolong things for them, and then the kids would have to deal with all of this crap even longer. What do you all think?

by on May. 26, 2010 at 2:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
roxy85
by on May. 26, 2010 at 2:16 PM

Call the cops during the party.

daklex
by on May. 26, 2010 at 2:17 PM

Personally I think I'd call CPS on them.

kiernansmom08
by on May. 26, 2010 at 2:17 PM

Call the cops during the party, or call CPS, the mom definitely sounds bipolar and needs help

LAXmom21
by Silver Member on May. 26, 2010 at 2:18 PM

AND THE COPS AT THE SAME TIME!!

Quoting daklex:

Personally I think I'd call CPS on them.

AngelicaRenee
by on May. 26, 2010 at 2:19 PM

Just wanted to give you a bump. I don't know what I would do.

1busymomma03
by on May. 26, 2010 at 2:20 PM

I've thought she was bipolar for years!! She has even gotten so bad in the past the she threatens to harm herself or her husband!! And no one would call anyone to get her help. She was on depression medication for a while, but quit taking it, and now things are getting bad again.

I just feel so bad for those babies!!!

Quoting kiernansmom08:

Call the cops during the party, or call CPS, the mom definitely sounds bipolar and needs help

ECMOM970
by on May. 26, 2010 at 2:21 PM
You need to call CPS! It is not safe for those kiddos and even though the guy is a cop something needs to be done! GOod Luck
lvnmylif
by on May. 26, 2010 at 2:21 PM

Sometimes the only thing you can do is be there for the kids.  Offer to watch them during the party.  In general just keep an eye out for them.  Being that he is a cop there probably isn't going to be anything done unless he isn't very well liked on his department.  CPS isn't going to take the kids unless things are very bad.  Just be the kind neighbor for the children.  I know it sucks but in all honesty the kind hands of strangers sometimes have more of an impact than the poor choices of the parents.

Audreysmommy123
by on May. 26, 2010 at 2:22 PM

call on them.. seriously.. go take pictures of what you can and get proof

1busymomma03
by on May. 26, 2010 at 2:23 PM

I wish I was a neighbor... I'm a family member that lives hours away. =*(

Quoting lvnmylif:

Sometimes the only thing you can do is be there for the kids.  Offer to watch them during the party.  In general just keep an eye out for them.  Being that he is a cop there probably isn't going to be anything done unless he isn't very well liked on his department.  CPS isn't going to take the kids unless things are very bad.  Just be the kind neighbor for the children.  I know it sucks but in all honesty the kind hands of strangers sometimes have more of an impact than the poor choices of the parents.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)