Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What to do? What to do?

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 2:25 PM
  • 3 Replies

Ok so ever since I moved into this house almost a year ago, I have always seen this elderly woman walking down the street.  She is usually wearing military clothing such as Desert Storm jacket and hat and the "new" Air Force work out shirt.   During the winter I would always offer to give her a ride when I saw her out and about and she would politely decline and go about her day.

Well the past few months she has been stopping cars and asking for money. Only a couple of dollars for bus. She did this to me when I stop to scare away a couple of dogs that charged at her. I never have cash on me, so I couldn't give her any and instead offered her a ride to wherever she needed to go. She declined.

I am pretty sure she lives on the road behind ours. I hadn't seen her for a while so didn't think much about it until today.  She rang my doorbell (and my neighbors) asking for 2 dollars for the bus. Well again no cash, but since I had access to my car I told her if she would give me a minute to get my son dressed I would be more than happy to drive her to the V.A. Clinic (where she said she was going). Again she declined.

I don't know about others, but if I was going around to strangers asking for money and one offered me a ride  I would take it. I just don't know what to think about this situation.

So would you take the offered ride if you were her?  How would you deal with the situation from my side?

by on May. 26, 2010 at 2:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Sirenabella
by on May. 26, 2010 at 2:34 PM

I probably wouldn't take a ride from people. If I knew she wanted the money for the bus I might look into getting her a bus pass.

ff-princess
by on May. 26, 2010 at 2:36 PM

not that I'd be out begging for spare change, but under no circumstances would I accept a ride anywhere from a stranger.  people are sick and you can't tell just by looking at them which one it will be.

ECMOM970
by on May. 26, 2010 at 2:37 PM
You did the right thing - you have no clue what she is really going to use that money for. Sounds like she could be suffering from a mental illness. I think if you continue to offer her a ride you are doing what you can - I would not give her cash even if I had it on me!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)