Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

S/O of death row prisoners

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 2:56 PM
  • 10 Replies

Poll

Question: Can you forgive death row inmates?

Options:

Yes, I would, and I am a Christian.

No, I would not, and I am a Christian.

Yes,I would, and I am not religious.

No, I would not, and I am not religious.

Other...please explain. I am sure I left something important out.

Yes, I would and I am a religioin other than Christianity.

No, I would not, and I am a religion other than Christianity

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 17

View Results

The question about writing to death row inmates as pen pals got me wondering something. 

If you are a Christian, do you think you could forgive any death row inmate, regardless of their crime?

If you are not religious, do you think you could forgive any death row inmate regardless of their crime?

by on May. 26, 2010 at 2:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sunshineforall
by on May. 26, 2010 at 2:59 PM

I would forgive, it would be hard and difficult and might take some time.

That said, they should still pay for their crime, 

mandy716
by on May. 26, 2010 at 3:02 PM

Quoting sunshineforall:

I would forgive, it would be hard and difficult and might take some time.

That said, they should still pay for their crime, 

That makes sense.  Thank you for your comment.

ame4c
by on May. 26, 2010 at 3:09 PM

The thing is the definition of forgiveness.  People often think this means you pardon the sin/crime and that is not the case.  You forgive someone, but they still have to do the time or punishment for their crime.

For those Christians out there, God REQUIRES us to forgive, but does not REQUIRE us to forget.  Just because someone has sinned against you, doesn't mean you have to let them do it again, that is not what forgiveness is about.

ame4c

Please check out my group:
http://www.cafemom.com/group/Moms_from_Dysfunctional_Families

mandy716
by on May. 26, 2010 at 5:24 PM
Right, that is how I meant it. Not that they should be let free or their punishment lessened. I forgive my children when they misbehave but they still have to face the punishment.

Quoting ame4c:

The thing is the definition of forgiveness.  People often think this means you pardon the sin/crime and that is not the case.  You forgive someone, but they still have to do the time or punishment for their crime.

For those Christians out there, God REQUIRES us to forgive, but does not REQUIRE us to forget.  Just because someone has sinned against you, doesn't mean you have to let them do it again, that is not what forgiveness is about.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sunshineforall
by on May. 26, 2010 at 5:25 PM

completely agree

Quoting mandy716:

Right, that is how I meant it. Not that they should be let free or their punishment lessened. I forgive my children when they misbehave but they still have to face the punishment.

Quoting ame4c:

Sarah---mom to:  Jaedon (8/24/03) and Waylon (10/3/06).  Blessed!

countrygirlkat
by on May. 26, 2010 at 5:27 PM

Yes.

Sirenabella
by on May. 26, 2010 at 5:39 PM

It depends on the crime. If I feel what they did was just then yes. Other than that no.

laranadtony
by Emerald Member on May. 26, 2010 at 5:41 PM

I don't know about forgiving.I know I don't want to pay for them to get master's degrees.What do they need them for?

savannahnhi
by on May. 26, 2010 at 5:41 PM

Nope.

mandy716
by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:23 PM

Quoting laranadtony:

I don't know about forgiving.I know I don't want to pay for them to get master's degrees.What do they need them for?

Yeah I am not really sure why they would need a master's degree if they are on death row.  If they are never getting out, it would not do them any good.  What are your thoughts about this for people with a 20-30 year sentence?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)