• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

does this sound ok to do??

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 2:59 PM
  • 11 Replies
my SO doesn't like paying rent...he feels if he's going to pay money on a house and repair the house then the money should go to owning the house. We currently live in a small town i can walk across. We have a steady monthly income and have started looking for somewhere to own. So we start looking....i'm adament about staying in our school district because they are awesome. He wants a house with a little land. We found a house with 3 lots that he has fell in love with. No one has lived in it since 1995. The kitchen counter needs to be leveled, some boards need replaced but over all looks to be in good shape. The windows will have to be replaced at some point to make it more effective on saving energy and to keep the wind out. It has hard wood floors and at least 2 windows in every room. It needs painting but that's no biggy. Its a 2 bedroom and that is MY problem. We have 3 kids, 1 girl(5) and 2 boys(3 & 16mo). So i refuse to put my girl and boys together. She's old enough to get dressed by herself and doesn't need her brothers watching. So since SO wants to add on to the house anyway and the doorways on the inside are regular size doorways i thought maybe we could put doors on the living room and make that our room, then give the boys the master bed room and wendy would have her own room. It just means we wouldn't have a living room until we built it on. We don't entertain much and if we do its usually outside and in the kitchen. It will cost $26,000 to buy out right or to rent to own. The lots are covered in trees,and rose bushes....there is a shed and a carport that is falling over. We don't mind doing the work especially since we just watched a house the same size with less land and more work needed go for $50,000 just 2 blocks away! So should we do it? Would not having a living room be okay for a year or so? is there a concern i'm missing??
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 26, 2010 at 2:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KandiceN
by on May. 26, 2010 at 3:05 PM

If you're up for it, I'd do it.  Sounds hard but fun.

You could always keep it a living room, but get get a futon and sleep on that at night then put it back during the day.

Lilypie - (Cibd)

1busymomma03

Where would you and your family sit and play during the day with out a living room? Where would you play games, or watch tv? Is there a den or other family room in the house?

JADIEBUG

Be careful of houses that have been empty that long. That is 15 years of being empty. When a house sits empty problems come up. I would have it fully inspected before buying...Especially the plumbing/electrical since it was empty for so long.

1busymomma03
by on May. 26, 2010 at 3:07 PM

Yes...and this too!! Have the plumbing, electric, air condition system, air ducts, etc...all inspected. That is a long time to sit with out anyone living in it. Why has it sat empty for so long? And why is it so cheap? Just things to think about.

Quoting JADIEBUG:

Be careful of houses that have been empty that long. That is 15 years of being empty. When a house sits empty problems come up. I would have it fully inspected before buying...Especially the plumbing/electrical since it was empty for so long.

sunshineforall
by on May. 26, 2010 at 3:08 PM

Quoting JADIEBUG:

Sarah---mom to:  Jaedon (8/24/03) and Waylon (10/3/06).  Blessed!

Pinkmankie
by Kelly on May. 26, 2010 at 3:09 PM
I don't know about buying a house that has been vacant so long. Good luck though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
knittingadict
by on May. 26, 2010 at 3:10 PM

Sounds like a good deal to me...I'd jump on it.

kikibix
by Gold Member on May. 26, 2010 at 3:12 PM

Think long and hard about finances. Go out to the renovations stores and price out supplies needed for repairs.  Things add up fast!  That lot price sounds great but how much would it cost to build a new house or to extensively renovate the one there?

JADIEBUG
by on May. 26, 2010 at 3:12 PM

Also get a full termite and pest inspection. Again 15 years with no humans living in a house...Pests do tend to take over.

dababiesdreams
by on May. 26, 2010 at 4:34 PM
the house is vacant because the previous owner died. He left it to his two kids who just didn't really care to be there. Now they r tired of paying the property taxes on it. From my understanding they've had offer but didn't like the property going commerical so they have rejected them.

Quoting 1busymomma03:

Yes...and this too!! Have the plumbing, electric, air condition system, air ducts, etc...all inspected. That is a long time to sit with out anyone living in it. Why has it sat empty for so long? And why is it so cheap? Just things to think about.

Quoting JADIEBUG:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)