Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does(Has) anyone work(ed) in a daycare? I have some questions.

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 2:59 PM
  • 12 Replies

Were you required to have some kind of training or experience beforehand or did they train your there? Does having your own child qualify as experience to an extent?

Did you enjoy it?

How does it compare to something like a retail/customer service job, as far as stress and satisfaction at the end of the day?

Did they allow you to bring your own kid to the daycare (whether with you or another worker) and did they give you a discount for working there?

I would like to get a job, but with my lack of education and experience in anything other than retail, I feel like the only job worth my time would be at a daycare as long as they will take care of my kid as well and possibly discount their price for it.

Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Lilypie
by on May. 26, 2010 at 2:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AMarineLovesMe
by on May. 26, 2010 at 3:07 PM

Quoting BatGirl1415:

Were you required to have some kind of training or experience beforehand or did they train your there? Does having your own child qualify as experience to an extent?  No experience was necessary, but I did have to attend training classes - chicld development, CPR, first aid, etc...

Did you enjoy it?  I did, I love being able to give kids back at the end of the day lmao.

How does it compare to something like a retail/customer service job, as far as stress and satisfaction at the end of the day?  It can be very stressful if the kids are having a bad day, but it was lots of fun and I loved it.

Did they allow you to bring your own kid to the daycare (whether with you or another worker) and did they give you a discount for working there?  I didn't have kids at the time, but you could enroll your own child and you recieved a discount.

babies

wife.and.mommy
by on May. 26, 2010 at 3:07 PM

Q: Were you required to have some kind of training or experience beforehand or did they train your there?

A: No and no training needed

Q: Does having your own child qualify as experience to an extent?

A: i had no children at the time

Q: Did you enjoy it?

A: Yes

Q: How does it compare to something like a retail/customer service job, as far as stress and satisfaction at the end of the day?

A: i never had a job like that to compare it to, but as far as stress and compared to my old job (CFO/hedgefund Administrator), there was NO stress to working in daycare

Q: Did they allow you to bring your own kid to the daycare (whether with you or another worker) and did they give you a discount for working there?

A: i left a month before i gave birth to my DS and the following summer i went back for 2 months with DS (i did NOT pay for him)

i worked in a home daycare so it is different than a daycare center per-se.

i guess it depends on what kind of place you are looking to work at.

i took the job, bc i moved and didnt want to commute to NYC and i wanted less hours (i was avg about 80-90 hours a week with my NYC job) and it was a great way to meet other moms in the area.

also with my background i helped my friend and her DH out with some accounting matters for his buisness

momma_bear1
by on May. 26, 2010 at 3:08 PM

Were you required to have some kind of training or experience beforehand or did they train your there? No, they trained but if you already have some training it is a plus.

Does having your own child qualify as experience to an extent? No. You will have to be certified in CPR/First Aid and also do continuing education while you work

Did you enjoy it? Most days - you have to really enjoy children and not be easily frustrated.

How does it compare to something like a retail/customer service job, as far as stress and satisfaction at the end of the day? It is totally different so you can't really compare. The stress is greater because you are responsible for children's safety and early education but the reward is great when you see the results of your work.

Did they allow you to bring your own kid to the daycare (whether with you or another worker) and did they give you a discount for working there? Yes, if I wanted to; I would have received 50% off normal tuition.

KandiceN
by on May. 26, 2010 at 3:08 PM

My friend worked at one when we were 17.  She had no experience at all.  Not even babysitting.

She hated it, but the place she worked had too many kids per adults so it was hard on her.  I don't think she ever got any formal training like CPR or anything, just how to clean up and do meals and what not.

omgamomie
by on May. 26, 2010 at 3:09 PM

Quoting AMarineLovesMe:

Quoting BatGirl1415:

Were you required to have some kind of training or experience beforehand or did they train your there? Does having your own child qualify as experience to an extent?  No experience was necessary, but I did have to attend training classes - chicld development, CPR, first aid, etc...

Some place do require that you have a year or more experience also some places wanted to have some college early childhood education.

Did you enjoy it?  I did, I love being able to give kids back at the end of the day lmao.

How does it compare to something like a retail/customer service job, as far as stress and satisfaction at the end of the day?  It can be very stressful if the kids are having a bad day, but it was lots of fun and I loved it.

Did they allow you to bring your own kid to the daycare (whether with you or another worker) and did they give you a discount for working there?  I didn't have kids at the time, but you could enroll your own child and you recieved a discount.

Newtons06
by on May. 26, 2010 at 3:11 PM
I didn't have kids at the time but I think they will give a discount for your kids. I didn't have any training classes, I wasnt certified in anything, I really enjoyed It. I worked with all the age groups at different times and fell in love with all of them. Very rewarding job.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Q0112
by on May. 26, 2010 at 3:11 PM

if you like working with children...why not see what is required to open up your own licensed daycare home? You'll make more money working in YOUR daycare than someone else's.  However, you won't be happy if you're only doing it for money. 

I have a licensed home daycare in my home and I love it.

BatGirl1415
by on May. 26, 2010 at 3:12 PM

Thanks guys! There's a daycare literally down the street from me, so I'll be giving them a call to see if they're hiring at all. It would be so ideal.

MommytoNandA
by on May. 26, 2010 at 3:14 PM

Were you required to have some kind of training or experience beforehand or did they train your there? Does having your own child qualify as experience to an extent?  Nope, but I had to have first aid/cpr ceritfication.  I was also going for my bachelors in liberal arts specializing in early childhood education.

Did you enjoy it?  I loved it, it was the best job I ever had.

How does it compare to something like a retail/customer service job, as far as stress and satisfaction at the end of the day?  I worked retail for a long time and even did both at the same time.  I don't think it compared.  I loved working at the daycare, for me it wasn't work.  I had my own class of 3 yr olds and it was so much fun, like playing all day.  I taught them stuff and we had a blast, it was great.  Retail to me  was just a job, most of the time it sucked. 

Did they allow you to bring your own kid to the daycare (whether with you or another worker) and did they give you a discount for working there?  I didn't have kids when I worked there, but the ones who did brought them to work with them, though they went to their age appropriate classes, whether it be with their moms or not.  I know they got a discount, but I don't know how much.

blazenangel5
by on May. 26, 2010 at 3:16 PM

I worked in a daycare that was located in a church. It was something that I always wanted to try. I didnt have any experience or training upon entering other than my 2 children. The only training i got while i was there was first aid. I actually feel they should require more! I eventually didnt enjoy the job as much as i thought i would. It was stressful at times and i was dealing with kids all day and giving my time and attention to them all day and then had to come home and continue with my own kids. I was burnt out! My days revolved around childrens songs and boogers and diapers. It wasnt fair to my own kids so i quit.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)