Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

goopy eye?

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 3:09 PM
  • 10 Replies

My son is a week and a half old and first his right eye had this whitish yellowish goop that would come out the sides *looks like sleep from our eyes* then it started covering up all creases of his eye and now its in both eyes.... any idea what it is or what I can do?

by on May. 26, 2010 at 3:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
1busymomma03
by on May. 26, 2010 at 3:11 PM

Call the doctor. It could be an eye infection or it could be a clogged tear duct. The doctor's office will tell  you what to do about it. Good luck. Hope it gets better soon!

KairisMama
by Ruby Member on May. 26, 2010 at 3:13 PM

My son is a week old as well, and has goopy eye every morning. It is normal though. His tear ducts are not fully open. My DD had the same issue as a baby. It cleared in about a month. I just take a warm, wet cloth to his eye to wipe the eye boogies away. It is also good to massage the corners of each eye, right by the nose to help open the ducts.

Alexsangel07
by on May. 26, 2010 at 3:24 PM

TY for this very much

Quoting KairisMama:

My son is a week old as well, and has goopy eye every morning. It is normal though. His tear ducts are not fully open. My DD had the same issue as a baby. It cleared in about a month. I just take a warm, wet cloth to his eye to wipe the eye boogies away. It is also good to massage the corners of each eye, right by the nose to help open the ducts.

seximama1127
by on May. 26, 2010 at 3:25 PM

take him to the doctor , they'll probably give him a sav and then everything will be fine

twinbabyboys
by on May. 26, 2010 at 3:28 PM

My son had blocked tear ducts, it just resolved itself after a few months. I was just told to clean it with a warm washcloth.

newfound09
by Gold Member on May. 26, 2010 at 3:29 PM
My son is 2 weeks and had the same issue. My Dr told me to massage the tear duct area pushing in and towards the nose. As well as keeping the eyes clean with wet cotton balls
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
expectingmomof3
by on May. 26, 2010 at 3:37 PM

It could and most likely is clogged tear ducts....but it could also be an eye infection. I would get it checked asap! With my oldest I called her doctor because her eyes were looking bad, oozing, getting matted, etc. He said it was a clogs ducts and not to worry about it. Later that night I was concerned and so I took her to the ER. She had an eye infection that had moved to the stem of the eyes. She was in the hospital for 10 days! Had we waited til the next day the infection would have went to her brain and caused permanent damage or even death. We changed pediatricians immediately. Trust your gut instinct!

momma_bear1
by on May. 26, 2010 at 3:42 PM

This is a normal baby thing! You can take a wash cloth or those 4x4 gauze pads and wet them with warm water. Lay it on his eye for a few minutes and you should be able to wipe away the goop. You will have to do this for a while - if I remember correctly, we did it several times a day for about a week.

ToYnyc
by on May. 26, 2010 at 3:45 PM
take him to the doctor, he may have an eye infection.
AMCMSM
by Gold Member on May. 26, 2010 at 3:46 PM

Do you BF? If so put a few drops of milk in his eye. This will clear it up. It is a normal baby thing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)