Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need help.... fast

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 3:31 PM
  • 13 Replies

I'm in a bit of a financial situation. I'm in the process of moving back home to my parents. I have some outstanding bills, yada yada. I'm 6 months pregnant and I just found out a couple of hours ago that my boss layed me off because I fell and bruised my knee on Friday at work and he's scared of me getting hurt at work while pregnant. I don't have a dollar to my name, (I pretty much live paycheck to paycheck) I'm a single mom, I don't receive child support (at this time; it's in the works but the state takes their time on paper work), or cash benefits. I immediatley filed for unemployment, because there is NO reason why I can't work and nobody is going to hire me when I'm almost 7 months pregnant. I think it all boils down to helping his daughter out, which who is conviently getting my hours now. I cannot stop crying because my son's birthday is coming up, and a month after that I'm due. With my hormones whacked, I'm seriously getting overly depressed and stressed out. Any ideas on how to earn some extra money please? Thank you in advance

pregnancy due date
by on May. 26, 2010 at 3:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ame4c
by on May. 26, 2010 at 3:34 PM

I'd call a lawyer.  You can probably get your job back or at least paid retribution.  What he did was illegal. You can't fire someone because they are pregnant and that is what he did.

I worked in building maintenance when I was pregnant, climbing ladders and all kinds of stuff.  You can do anything that you were doing before you got pregnant.  Sometimes things come up and you need restrictions, but he still can't fire you.

ame4c

Please check out my group:
http://www.cafemom.com/group/Moms_from_Dysfunctional_Families

MommyToTwo0408
by on May. 26, 2010 at 3:35 PM

I'm pretty sure your boss could get in trouble for firing you from your job because you were injured.  Was your knee hurt bad enough to need medical attention?  If so then you can file workers comp, if not then you may want to consider talking to someone about your options.  Do you have it in writing that he layed you off because you were injured?  Did he say rather or not you'd have a job after the baby was born? 

I hope things settle down for you soon.  Hopefully staying with your parents will help you financially?  Good luck mama!

luvmyaustin
by on May. 26, 2010 at 3:35 PM

can you baby sit or dog walk or what about working at a day care or a receptionist position? i am so sorry that you are going through this i was there.

hugs

lovingwifey
by on May. 26, 2010 at 3:36 PM

I would call a lawyer,  He fired you because you were pregnant although you got hurt, but it was because you are pregnant, if you would have fallen and not been pregnant nothing would have happened,

lindseyjay347
by on May. 26, 2010 at 3:37 PM

clean houses. you can usually make good money even if you dont do the deep down steam cleaning and things like that. Its hard work sometimes but usually pays well and you set your own hours. Also, I make flip flops and sell them. They are so cute and don't take long to do. I get paid 15 per pair. SO maybe you can think of a creative project that would be good for summer time. Sorry i dont have any better advice

Mary229
by on May. 26, 2010 at 3:38 PM

You don't even need an attorney.  Call the state and and ask how to go about filing a claim against him for unlawful termination.  That's discrimination and it's illegal.

mom2four1978
by on May. 26, 2010 at 3:38 PM

I'm sorry you are having to deal with all of this at once. Go to this group. They can help with your son's B-Day. http://www.cafemom.com/group/30509

~ LIZZY~

luvmyaustin
by on May. 26, 2010 at 3:39 PM

yep either way it was illegal what he did is your state a right to work state? oh and BTW the dog walking that i wrote i am sorry that was a stupid idea dog walking at 7 months lol also because you are pregnant the state process might go faster just look into all possible options!

Quoting ame4c:

I'd call a lawyer.  You can probably get your job back or at least paid retribution.  What he did was illegal. You can't fire someone because they are pregnant and that is what he did.

I worked in building maintenance when I was pregnant, climbing ladders and all kinds of stuff.  You can do anything that you were doing before you got pregnant.  Sometimes things come up and you need restrictions, but he still can't fire you.

MamaBloom777
by on May. 26, 2010 at 3:42 PM

Since you're moving & all....do you have anything you could sell?  Old, broken jewelry or anything you don't want anymore?  I'm not in the situation you're in, but we've been really tight financially lately & I've had to sell everything of mine that would fetch a price.  Its a good way to make money & purge the stuff you don't need anymore! 

And I agree with the other ladies....call the state or a lawyer & file against your old employer.  That's ridiculous!! 

QueenFelicia
by on May. 26, 2010 at 3:45 PM

have a garage sale or sell some stuff on craigslist. you'll have less to move!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)