• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is this a suitable birthday present? EDIT IN RED AT BOTTOM

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 3:39 PM
  • 63 Replies

I have thought about this for awhile now and I think I am going to ask everyone that attends my DD 6th bday for Gift cards to places of their choice and also for the amount that they choose. I fiqured that way we could all get together hang out do cake and ice cream and play games ad do prizes. And then me and DD spend a day shopping for the stuff she really wants or needs.

Also would also write down who give what card and for what amount so that when we do thank you cards she can tell them what she spent the money on

Is this a good idea?

edit: I came up with this idea because of EVERYONE asking me what to get her even her grand parents. I am not really sure what to tell them due to the fact she has an huge pile of toys and a pile of clothes that doubles that. And her interest in things change from day to day. SO I fiqured gift cards would be the best option. That way she can go and get whatever she wants herself. As far as my gift to her, it is taking her out to eat just me and her, whereever she wants to go. We get all dressed up and make a big deal about it.

edit: So would it be ok to put on the card if bringing a gift and not sure what to get gift cards are welcome?

by on May. 26, 2010 at 3:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaPeanut
by on May. 26, 2010 at 3:41 PM

I think that would be fine.

skeletor1017
by on May. 26, 2010 at 3:42 PM

I see nothing wrong with that.

lanceandhailey
by Platinum Member on May. 26, 2010 at 3:42 PM

I think if you expect gifts you should be grateful for what you get, and only suggest the gift cards if someone asks for ideas. You can wait to get your daughter a gift if you want, and take her shopping for her gift from you.

aydensmommy326
by on May. 26, 2010 at 3:42 PM

idk i wouldnt do it... i was invited to a b day party once were the mom said no gifts just cash please.... n I was kinda like wth? BUT if you dont feel weird about it go for it..why not?

abbysmommy429
by on May. 26, 2010 at 3:43 PM

I would only ask for that if you are really close to the people or they ask you for what to get her.

JADIEBUG

Quoting lanceandhailey:

I think if you expect gifts you should be grateful for what you get, and only suggest the gift cards if someone asks for ideas. You can wait to get your daughter a gift if you want, and take her shopping for her gift from you.

twinbabyboys

.I don't think I would ask for anything specific unless someone directly asks what she wants/needs. Thats just me though.

Happy b-day to your daughter

Congenital Heart Defect Awareness  Autism Awareness

tilly030409

Quoting lanceandhailey:

So you don't think its ok to ask for gift cards instead of gifts?

Chrystal_A

I dont like the idea.Im not really too sure how you would even word that in the invites "gift cards or cash only" sounds way greedy.I guess I could understnad it a bit better if she was older.Maybe mention Sally plans to visit the mall with hier friends for her birthday with friends,she likes to shop!

my2sons2007
by on May. 26, 2010 at 3:44 PM

You have to consider your audience.  Personally, i have never been a fan of giving people what they "ask" for.  I don't do registries at all.  It's a gift, it should have some thought/meaning.  But if yo u think the people you invite will do that, go for it.  It's a cute idea.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)