Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Jobless..... please help

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 4:12 PM
  • 8 Replies

Spin off........... I've never really been a babysitter other than for family and friends of the family so advertising has never had a part to play. I've always had a "company" job, meaning, I have never been self employed (example: babysiting, cleaning houses, dog walking, car detailing, etc) If you read my earlier post about being layed off and 6 months pregnant with little to no chance of being hired on anywhere, how would you go about advertising for, say, a cleaning service? All cleaning products would be supplied by me. The basics, like dusting, vaccuming, cleaning bathrooms, etc. No carpet shampooing or anything? Thanks in advance!

pregnancy due date
by on May. 26, 2010 at 4:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
momma_bear1
by on May. 26, 2010 at 4:13 PM

Craigslist

crashley_05
by on May. 26, 2010 at 4:15 PM

EDIT......... and what about rates????? I'm cluelesss!

bethmoore71
by on May. 26, 2010 at 4:15 PM

To let you know something, I had a friend who started working at about 6 months pregnant, for a national cleaning service. She landed a daily job at one home (large and they wanted someone daily though it was a retired couple). You might get work quicker that way, just saying.

RmeWifey01
by on May. 26, 2010 at 4:19 PM

If you live near a military facility you could go to the Housing Office on post and offer your services, also each base has a newspaper that is unique to that post and you could put an advertisement in there, as well as Bookoo.com. Military families are consistently looking for people to clean for them upon packout to pcs to their new base.

cadeesmommy0120
by on May. 26, 2010 at 4:19 PM

I would say advertise on craigslist...or in your local group on here maybe?

RmeWifey01
by on May. 26, 2010 at 4:31 PM

You need to figure out if you want to charge by the job or by the hour. If by the hour I would suggest between $12-20 depending on your area's economic status. If by the job then you should do something like $75 for up to a 2000 sq. ft. home to include vacuuming, windows, dishes, countertops, mopping, and bathrooms (maybe bedrooms too), and then maybe like $125 for 2001 to 3000 sq. ft. homes. The reason is b/c a 2000 sq ft home might take you 4-5 hours to clean but a 3000 sq. ft. may take 7-8 hrs depending on rooms and such.

Quoting crashley_05:

EDIT......... and what about rates????? I'm cluelesss!

jcsg
by on May. 26, 2010 at 4:41 PM

Starting a cleaning service is a lot harder than you might think.  I use to clean for a living ( with a company and on my own).  You need to think about insurance and bonding, taxes, rates, hours, mileage and customers.  Not only that, but a lot of people will not hire someone who is noticably pregnant because of the chance of something happening.  And they will worry about their house insurance. 

It is also extremely difficult to clean multiple homes while pregnant.  (especially in the summer). There is a big difference in cleaning a home occupied by a family and one occupied by just one or two adults.  So you would need to price and time it accordingly. 

crashley_05
by on May. 26, 2010 at 5:33 PM

Thanks for the advice and info ladies! Very much appreciated! And it wouldn't be like a cleaning service kind of thing, just a here and there when needed! No military base relativley close to here, so thats a no-no! =) Thank you ladies.... any other ideas on making some money?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)