Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms of twins who are kindergarten age or older.

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 4:16 PM
  • 11 Replies

Hey everyone :)

My twins are finishing up their seond year of preschool for developmental delay and a speech disorder. Basically things have improved for them and they are going into a regular ED kindergarten classroom. I have their final IEP tomorrow!

I have been going back and forth trying to decide if I should split them up for kindergarten....I know it doesn't sound like a big deal but they are crazy about each other and completely inseparable(which is the reason I would want to keep them together) I am considering separating them because one depends on the other a little too much in certain situations...one will speak for the other etc. and also because they are identical and get mixed all the time by both teachers and children.

What do you think? What did you do with your little ones?

They love each other so much :)

by on May. 26, 2010 at 4:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
twinbabyboys
by on May. 26, 2010 at 4:25 PM

BUMP!

aoaks2009
by on May. 26, 2010 at 4:28 PM

Although I am not their momma, I am pretty close, I'm their sister & i have helped raise them. Anyways.. They are 5 and they also are going into kindergarten this year. They went two years of preschool the first year was also for speech and developmental delays they were together. The second year they were split  up and did fine. As long as they knew where each others room was and that they were safe they were ok. They are staying split up for Kgd. as well, mainly because Noah is the dominant one (the smaller one) & he is  slightly ahead of Josh, and if josh takes a second to answer a question, Noah will over power and do it for him. Josh has to learn to stand on his own!

I think that if they feed off each other its probably best to seperate them. I would just explain to the teacher & principal..If they dont do well see if they would allow you to put them together. Good luck momma!

mrsjones2207
by Platinum Member on May. 26, 2010 at 4:30 PM

I homeschool so Idk. and mine are G/B twins also

two4one
by on May. 26, 2010 at 4:30 PM

I split mine after much debating. They would always find a way to get back to thier sister in pre-k, even when they were put at different centers. They weren't inseperable, but they did want to be with each other. Plus, they have their own strengths and weaknesses and I didn't want them to be compared within the classroom.

Let me tell you, it was the best decision to make. They have done great, and do not miss each other at all. They have made their own friends, and have done great in school. I am so glad I made the choise to split them.

Kelleyriley
by on May. 26, 2010 at 4:32 PM

Tea I would probably try to split them up, if one is alittle more dominant then the other, it would be good for them to learn abou themselves without their twin there, and then they can always be side by side together at home, and if it doesnt go well you can always arrange for them to be put together in the same classroom instead..good luck, they are really cute too!!

twinbabyboys
by on May. 26, 2010 at 4:33 PM

Thank you so much for responding. Sounds a lot like my boys situation. I wasnt having any doubts until I told them a little about kindergarten and when I got to the part about "their own classrooms" Emerson started to cry :(  I really feel like it would be best for them educationally. I think you're right, I'll make sure to ask about putting them back together if things arent working out.

Your brothers are adorable :)

Quoting aoaks2009:

Although I am not their momma, I am pretty close, I'm their sister & i have helped raise them. Anyways.. They are 5 and they also are going into kindergarten this year. They went two years of preschool the first year was also for speech and developmental delays they were together. The second year they were split  up and did fine. As long as they knew where each others room was and that they were safe they were ok. They are staying split up for Kgd. as well, mainly because Noah is the dominant one (the smaller one) & he is  slightly ahead of Josh, and if josh takes a second to answer a question, Noah will over power and do it for him. Josh has to learn to stand on his own!

I think that if they feed off each other its probably best to seperate them. I would just explain to the teacher & principal..If they dont do well see if they would allow you to put them together. Good luck momma!

Congenital Heart Defect Awareness  Autism Awareness

cadeesmommy0120
by on May. 26, 2010 at 4:35 PM

I have a friend with twin boys.  Their school is small so there is only one class for each grade.  But I asked her and she said that she would split them up, give them a chance to get their own identity and show them they can do stuff outside of each other, have different friends and such.  HTH! 

aoaks2009
by on May. 26, 2010 at 4:40 PM

No Problem!! & Thanks! They are very much part of my life. The red head has mild autism. I have to help out alot with them. You boys are so cute! I wish this two were identical..Alot of people dont believe they are twins. 

Quoting twinbabyboys:

Thank you so much for responding. Sounds a lot like my boys situation. I wasnt having any doubts until I told them a little about kindergarten and when I got to the part about "their own classrooms" Emerson started to cry :(  I really feel like it would be best for them educationally. I think you're right, I'll make sure to ask about putting them back together if things arent working out.

Your brothers are adorable :)

Quoting aoaks2009:

twinbabyboys
by on May. 26, 2010 at 4:52 PM

Thanks everyone. I think I am going to go ahead with my original decision to split them up. My son Everett will be just fine I'm sure, but Emerson is pretty dependant on his brother. We'll see how it goes!

mom2acutiepie
by Gold Member on May. 26, 2010 at 4:55 PM

I do not have twins but a good friend of mine does. She split her boys up when they went to school because of one depending on the other too much. They are in second grade now, still split (they are also identical) and they couldn't be happier. She says she is happy about her decision to split them up because it helped them become individuals. I hope I was able to help.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)