Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Feeding your baby???

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 5:03 PM
  • 35 Replies

I have been told by my WIC counselor to feed my son nothing but breast milk for the first year. My doc says nothing but breast milk for 6 months. Anything else seems so taboo to them I haven't asked why.

My son will be 4 months old tomorrow. I started putting rice in his bottle at 3 months and a couple of weeks ago I started him on Gerber 1st foods. I have not admitted this to WIC or my doc. The way I see it, my baby boy has been sleeping 8 hrs a night since he was 12 weeks old, and I find nothing wrong with that. It has also been hard for him to put on weight and now he is perfect size. Of coarse the doc doesn't know why the sudden change. So can someone tell me why they are so against it?

by on May. 26, 2010 at 5:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MOMby19
by on May. 26, 2010 at 5:06 PM

some doctors say wait 6 months til baby food. you're not supposed to put rice cereal in their bottle, though. it creates a chocking hazard. i'm not sure why WIC is telling you not to give any solids for the first year, though. i'd just tell everyone what you've been doing.

i started dd on 1st foods at 4 months because her doc said she was good to go for it. WIC started putting 2nd foods on the checks at 6 months because that's what their standards say for solid food.

mommasbabies77
by on May. 26, 2010 at 5:22 PM
Quoting MOMby19:

some doctors say wait 6 months til baby food. you're not supposed to put rice cereal in their bottle, though. it creates a chocking hazard. i'm not sure why WIC is telling you not to give any solids for the first year, though. i'd just tell everyone what you've been doing.

i started dd on 1st foods at 4 months because her doc said she was good to go for it. WIC started putting 2nd foods on the checks at 6 months because that's what their standards say for solid food.

This unless your child has a issue where the milk needs to be thicken(like my son did).

But, I always did what I thought my kid's were ready for. JMO

southernjess3
by on May. 26, 2010 at 5:23 PM

my mom had a friend who put the rice cereal in the bottle early like that. poor child turned obese..

Kris_PBG
by on May. 26, 2010 at 5:25 PM

The recommendation is exclusive breast milk until 6 months.

At 6 months you start to bring in solids, but breastmilk remains the primary source of nutrition.

Solids prior to 4 months of age has serious risks.

The optimal plan is the one your doctor is recommended.

briana_paige
by on May. 26, 2010 at 5:26 PM

A baby's digestive system is not ready for things like rice cereal and baby food at 3 or 4 months. 6 months should be the earliest.

CafeMom Tickers
ashleyrenee24
by Ashley on May. 26, 2010 at 5:27 PM

I think its the risk of allergies and obesity is why they tell you to wait.

brandiaubrey
by on May. 26, 2010 at 5:28 PM

That didn't turn the child obese unless she put a ton in there. I put a very small amount in DD's bottle and she is underweight.

Quoting southernjess3:

my mom had a friend who put the rice cereal in the bottle early like that. poor child turned obese..

I love my family...wife to Scott and momma to Chloe.

Kris_PBG
by on May. 26, 2010 at 5:29 PM

Also the immature and "open" gut that infants have....

Quoting ashleyrenee24:

I think its the risk of allergies and obesity is why they tell you to wait.

roxy85
by on May. 26, 2010 at 5:29 PM

There's rarely a good reason to put rice cereal in your child's bottle that the doctor wouldn't have already suggested it for you. Allergies are the reason for delaying solids for kids.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)