• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mental Health Days

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 6:36 PM
  • 15 Replies

Do you ever take "mental health days" at work
 or

Allow your children "mental health days" away from school?

Why of why not?

by on May. 26, 2010 at 6:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lindazada
by on May. 26, 2010 at 6:37 PM

huh - Maybe I should!

jcsg
by on May. 26, 2010 at 6:40 PM

Never worked for a company that had those.  But have called in sick at past jobs just for the hell of it. 

I have let my kids stay home from school once or twice if I think they are overly tired and they are doing ok in school at the time. 

aka_speezolove
by on May. 26, 2010 at 6:43 PM

Quoting jcsg:

Never worked for a company that had those.  But have called in sick at past jobs just for the hell of it. 

I have let my kids stay home from school once or twice if I think they are overly tired and they are doing ok in school at the time. 

I don't think any company offers mental health days. For some reason mental health isn't seen as as important as physical health. Thus the reason some mentally ill people cannot work and are not employable.

3earthangels
by on May. 26, 2010 at 6:44 PM

Yes I do, and yes I let my kids do it too. If you (in general) are preforming well at work or school and rarely miss for other reasons, why not? Maybe it also has something to do with the fact that I can't "cash out" or roll over my sick, personal, or vacation days at one of my jobs though. So it's either use them or lose them. Since I'm rarely sick, and rarely have intense personal problems (knock on wood), I use them on really nice days that I don't want to go in, or to make my weekend just that much longer.

My kids are allowed 1 mental health day a term as long as their grades are good ( A's, maybe 1 or 2 B's), and they haven't missed for anything else.

AutymsMommy
by Ruby Member on May. 26, 2010 at 6:44 PM

I am a housewife and my husband travels most of the week for work... I do not get mental health days, lol... except those occasions when I have the sitter stay with the kiddos for a few hours and go hide at Barnes and Noble. Lol.

I do sometimes take Autym out of school for "mental health days".

I am a Private School sending, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Homework Helping, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mother. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child - I will do that, Thank You. I believe that a woman's place is in the home taking care of her house, children and husband. I am submissive and proud, my husband is head of my home. I am a proud, traditional Roman Catholic, as is my husband... Yes we are teaching our children that The Church is the only Church.               Aimee

aka_speezolove
by on May. 26, 2010 at 6:51 PM

BUMP!

embarrassed
by on May. 26, 2010 at 6:55 PM

I used to when I worked outside of the home - but now that I work at home (telecommute) I don't.  I figure I'm fortunate enough to work from home, no need to botch it with taking unnecessary days.

I do let my kids take 1 mental health day per semester if needed.  My oldest has only used 1...and he's in 5th grade.  My Kindergartener has never used it (this year or in 4K). 

I offer it because I remember days that I just could NOT go to school and going was pure torture.  Sometimes your poor mind and body needs a break.

aka_speezolove
by on May. 27, 2010 at 1:59 PM

BUMP!

mommybug77
by on May. 27, 2010 at 2:00 PM

No. They get 2 days off school a week minimum. They also get a month off every 4 months.

I am a SAHM. If I don't want to do anything than I don't have to.

Marshallsmom422
by on May. 27, 2010 at 2:03 PM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)