Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

$700 for a 3 bedroom what do you think? & moving tips needed

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 6:45 PM
  • 9 Replies

$700 for a 3 bedroom apartment. 

It is in upstate NY, so it really is a good price. 

The kicker is.  We can't find anything else at all and we really need this place for July because we have to be 100% out of the place we are in and the carpet professionally steam cleaned by August 1st. 

We are past our 45 day notice of the lease renewal, so if we wanted to stay we have to do a budget all over again which without me being under 21 any longer I no longer can add my dad's income who never helped us in the first place just court allows it kind of thing.  Anyway we won't pass and won't have a place to live and there aren't any hotels around and no storage for our furniture and no family and friends to help us out. 

This means we will be paying $710 for the place we are in for June & July as well as paying $700 for June & July for the new place as well as paying $700 for a new security deposit and hopefully we get our security back from the place we are in.  We did put some holes in the walls. 

This will be our first move ever.  before I met my dh I was just moving from room rental to room rental, and he was with his parents and in college. 

Also any moving tips would be greatful as all furinture was put into this house by the place we bought it from. 

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

I sometimes come off mean/rude, please don't be offended I really am trying to be nice.
by on May. 26, 2010 at 6:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
FooLynRoo
by on May. 26, 2010 at 6:49 PM

i dont understand all your issues - but it sounds good.

packa suitcase for all your clothing and toiletry needs for a few days.

move the clothes in their drawer, and on their hangers.

use a laundry basket for all the bathroom stuff, easy in easy out.

cant think of any moving tips.. is basically try to stay organized and sane

ReachtotheStars
by on May. 26, 2010 at 6:53 PM

just kind of bummed about double rent, but I guess it was bound to happen, but that you for the tips I am going to start packing asap. 

Quoting FooLynRoo:

i dont understand all your issues - but it sounds good.

packa suitcase for all your clothing and toiletry needs for a few days.

move the clothes in their drawer, and on their hangers.

use a laundry basket for all the bathroom stuff, easy in easy out.

cant think of any moving tips.. is basically try to stay organized and sane

I sometimes come off mean/rude, please don't be offended I really am trying to be nice.
momoftwo2008628
by on May. 26, 2010 at 6:56 PM

sh*t i wish i can find an apartment with tht price here in the city.i live in chicago,they go from $950-$2000!!!! like fool said up above,try to stay organized cus if you dont,then everything is everywhere!!

mommy492006
by on May. 26, 2010 at 7:05 PM

yeah we rent a house not an apartment but its only a 2 bedroom and no dishwasher no garbage disposal no ac just a swamp cooler...  and got every bug known to man on a daily basis in here... and we pay 950$

cjsix
by faith on May. 26, 2010 at 7:05 PM

The best tip I ever recieved about moving was when we were in the military from an older and wiser wife...

1)take 3 boxes put them in the room (which ever room you want to start in) the 1st is for things you want to keep,the 2nd for things to donate and the 3rd is for junk to put to the curb

2)start sorting through everything in the room

3)when 1 box is full close it up and tape it....write on it as to what room and what items are inside(a general ...so you'll know)

4) set it aside and get another to take it's place and continue....do this is each room until finished.

5) when done with all the rooms take the donate boxes and drop off at the nearest donation center....the boxes for the trash to the curb...and load up the rest in the moving truck.

It's alot of work ...but,have fun and enjoy your new home!

ReachtotheStars
by on May. 26, 2010 at 7:46 PM

this is awesome I am gettin started tonight 

Quoting cjsix:

The best tip I ever recieved about moving was when we were in the military from an older and wiser wife...

1)take 3 boxes put them in the room (which ever room you want to start in) the 1st is for things you want to keep,the 2nd for things to donate and the 3rd is for junk to put to the curb

2)start sorting through everything in the room

3)when 1 box is full close it up and tape it....write on it as to what room and what items are inside(a general ...so you'll know)

4) set it aside and get another to take it's place and continue....do this is each room until finished.

5) when done with all the rooms take the donate boxes and drop off at the nearest donation center....the boxes for the trash to the curb...and load up the rest in the moving truck.

It's alot of work ...but,have fun and enjoy your new home!

oporb
by on May. 26, 2010 at 9:14 PM

you can rent a u-haul --ask people at dh's work to help / use a pick-up truck - a lot of young guys will help for a case of beer or $20, gas money, etc. (DON'T let them start drinking until the move is DONE!! LOL) If you look on craigs list there are men who will come move you too - out here they were $60 an hour for 2 men and a truck.... if you have everything ready (other than stuff you can move in your vehicle) it would take maybe 2-3 hours depending on how much stufff you have

get big black garbage bags - can haul clothes, towels, plastic stuff, toys, etc in them..... I always run out!! Trash or donate as much as you can -- its a good time to clean out clutter!!

you need newspaper (you can use towels/clothes if you need to) and boxes for breakables - if you go to wal mart late at night or during stocking times -- they'll let you take as many empty boxes as you want for free --- oh and you need packing tape - the cheapest stuff you can find at WM is fine - the wide clear stuff....

and pack breakable type stuff in small boxes - becasue glass/ceramic gets HEAVY..... so heavy stuff put in small boxes -- and fill the big boxes with light stuff -- or else you'll end up with huge heavy boxes you can't pick up and end up having to repack!!

I like to pack up unnessessary stuff ahead of time  -- so most of the tedious  packing is done and on moving day I just have to empty out daily use stuff....

cjsix
by faith on May. 27, 2010 at 2:52 AM

Oh,I forgot to say take the important papers (marriage licence,birth certificates,social security cards,military records etc...),pictures ...anything truly irreplaceable,with you in the car,especially if you have someone else moving you.

Ms.Upinyourface
by on May. 27, 2010 at 3:02 AM

Depending on the distance between the two  places. Rent a Uhaul for the big stuff, maybe the small stuff will all fit in too. YEAH!

Organize by room so that you put the kitchen stuff in there, the bathroom, the bedrooms, the living room.

Toss out or donatea as much stuff as you can befor you move.

Move FAST so you use those last weeks to fully clean and get your deposit and good referal for the place you are leaving. If the new renters want the place early, you could end up with one or more weeks rent returned in the bargain.

My last move the cleaning was pure hell for me. It took nine of us to get the place in shape for the full deposit refund. I needed every cent of it.

Congratulations on the new place!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)