Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What Would You Do?

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 6:54 PM
  • 4 Replies

I moved to a new state, had a baby, and after a few years I'm starting to make some friends that I would consider to be "close" friends. One in particular seems to really want to be friends back, we're close in age, so are our kids, we like to do the same kinds of things, we have similar religious and political views, ect.

The Problem

I have a toddler, and my problem is that this friend uses cuss words a lot. She swears to and in front of her toddler child, F word and all, and I'm afraid my child, who repeats everything now, is going to start repeating these words, and thinking its ok to talk to people that way. I've told her before that we don't curse in front of our son, but she doesn't seem to think this should apply to her as well, she doesn't see it as inappropriate. I understand that she is an adult and is able to raise her child how she sees fit, but to what extent do I have to ask of her behavior around my kid? I don't want to stop hanging out with her over this, because overall she seems to be a good mother and a nice person, but on the other hand, my kid comes first. What would you do/say to resolve this without anyone being offended? Would this be a deal breaker in a friendship?

by on May. 26, 2010 at 6:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
stephNcary
by on May. 26, 2010 at 7:01 PM

i tell my husbands friends that they can talk how they want in front of their kids but when in front of mine could you please try to watch your mouth.

RmeWifey01
by on May. 26, 2010 at 7:19 PM

Ask her nicely 1 time to NOT do it in your household or even just hanging out at the park. If she doesn't comply then stop coming around her, or allowing her over.

honestycounts
by on May. 26, 2010 at 8:44 PM

bump

FooLynRoo
by on May. 26, 2010 at 8:49 PM

Hey jane - can u watch your mother around my kid

Thanks

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)