Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My Pit Bit Their Cat...

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 7:06 PM
  • 96 Replies

the other night, we were in bed and dosia started barking at about 4am. it was his "someones here" bark...then he stopped so we didnt think much of it...sometimes he'll bark if the neighbors get home late and are being loud. then he started growling/barking/snarling/whatever you want to call it (which he doesnt do for nothing). my husband (daniel) grabbed the gun and went downstairs. about a minute later i heard him talking to dosia, i went downstairs and he was sitting on the couch with dosia on the floor. dosia was shaking, (i think from seeing the gun...when he was a puppy our old neighbors used to shoot at cans and stand right by his pen. jerks.)

anyway, he kept looking around...so i said "watch em dosia"...if there is something to be watched, he will, if not, he just looks at me. he tensed up and was staring at the end of the couch...i said "get em" and he took off around the back and started growl/snarling again...daniel jumped over the back and saw what it was, and told dosia to back up, and "go see mama" (which is me...shut up. its cute.) so he did...and our neighbors cat jumped up on the table. he got in through a window. when daniel got back there, dosia had grabbed the cat and shook him, then let him go. the cat seemed ok...he never made a noise...no hiss, no meow, no "oh shit this dog is fucking biting me" noise...nothing. the only thing i heard was the bell on his collar when dosia shook him. daniel threw a jacket on him (the cat hates being touched) and took him outside..he ran back home. i saw him last night, he was in my yard, he ran off when he heard me. so i guess hes ok. just mute.

heres my problems: should i tell my neighbor about it? he already doesnt "care for" my dogs...i would tell him if the cat was hurt, but he seems fine. he was ok enough to walk all over my car and leave his footprints up and down my just-washed windshields last night.

i mentioned this to someone today, and they said its dosias fault...but the cat was in our house...dosia didnt go grab him off the neighbors doorstep. they said if the city found out, they would make me put him down, since he "attacked" another pet. he didnt kill it...didnt even make it bleed. again...the cat was in OUR house. doesnt that basically make him an intruder? lol i think so.

they also said that since hes "attacked" once, he will do it again. that part i think is bullshit...but what would the city think? what do you think?

i completely trust my dog, but him being a pit tends to complicate things like this. im not going to get rid of him over this...but i want to know your opinions.

by on May. 26, 2010 at 7:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lilblu399
by Tamika on May. 26, 2010 at 7:11 PM

I would call animal control about the wild cat. It seems weird that the cat would just go in someones house like that, Is it just an outside cat? I would be worried about your dog, there was a news story about a cat having rabies the other day on my news channel.

Wistful
by on May. 26, 2010 at 7:12 PM

"go see mama" (which is me...shut up. its cute.)

Lol! That is cute! I loled at your comment!

ANYWAYS....if my cat got out and went into someone elses HOUSE and the dog attacked it.....I damn should woudn't be mad at the owners OR the pet. He was defending his home. This comes from someone who had cat that defended HER home...she would attack any animals that came into the house! Lol!
Even if my cat was in your yard and the same thing happened. I wouldn't be upset, that is what dogs do....If your dog came into my yard and did it that is a totally different scenio.....

And if the cat is ok, I wouldn't say anything unless the cat got in again. Then I would say 'hey this is the 2nd time this has happened and my dog could very easily kill him.'

Lilypie Breastfeeding Ticker

SamiJo3889
by on May. 26, 2010 at 7:12 PM

I think that you should be fine, its not like your dog totally ate the cat and it would be a different story if it was on the street, it sounds like your dog was warning the cat about entering his house un-invited.

MeVinceandBaby
by on May. 26, 2010 at 7:13 PM

totally not your dog's fault if the cat was on your property or in your house. i would give my neighbor a heads up that the cat got in, but i might leave out all the other details if the cat is fine, that way you don't make more trouble for yourself and your doggy if you neighbor already doesn't like it. good luck!

mommymandaleigh
by on May. 26, 2010 at 7:14 PM

I wouldn't tell them. It is really none of their business what happened in your house. The cat got in and I am sure he won't be back LOL @ least your baby didn't kill him !!

night.magic
by Chicken Nugget on May. 26, 2010 at 7:15 PM

I would tell them they let their cat out and the silly thing was inside your house. Knowing full well you have pits over there. So, not like it's your fault the kitty got inside your house.

Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on May. 26, 2010 at 7:17 PM

Was it necessary for you to tell the dog to "get em" when your husband was standing there with a gun?  It's not the dog's fault the cat got bit, it's yours. 

Kelleyriley
by on May. 26, 2010 at 7:17 PM

I own a 3yr old red nose named Tucker so I know how having a pit, always makes it ur dogs fault! Because your dogs a pit and u said ur neighbor already doesnt like ur dog, i wouldn't say anything, but i would keep an eye on the cat, just to make sure hes okay, wouldn't want the cat tto suffer or anything, but the cat was in ur house and the dog just did whats natural its not like he seriously hurt it. good luck!

Kathy-PSPR
by on May. 26, 2010 at 7:19 PM

Quoting Dzyre1115:

Was it necessary for you to tell the dog to "get em" when your husband was standing there with a gun?  It's not the dog's fault the cat got bit, it's yours. 

I think that was a bit uncalled for, they had no idea what was in the house.

Kathy-PSPR
by on May. 26, 2010 at 7:21 PM

It was not your dogs fault. He was doing his job, protecting your house from intruders, whether it be person or animal that should not have been in your home. 

I would let your neighbors know their cat was in your house and that it could have ended badly, and they need to watch their cat a bit better.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)