• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Debatable (PIOG)

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 10:39 PM
  • 9 Replies

Reading on AOL this morning how some moms are in an uproar over Mattels Back to Basic or Barbie Basics Collection.   The collection has Barbies with different skin, hair and eye color dressed in basic black.  Mothers find the dresses provacative and have gone as far as to call these hooker Barbies.     My take on it is, when has Barbie (in recent years) been conservative?    Even when I was growing up all her gowns were fitted and when I was a kid she had the huge boobs and nonexistant waist and guess what - I never wanted to look like Barbie.   Mothers are saying that these dolls are giving their daughters false asperations as far as self image goes.    I think that is ridiculous.    I feel that if people didn't talk about how children emmulate the dolls then children would never even think to do so.  The biggest complaint is the Basic doll they have nicknamed Busty because of her low cut dress.    Maybe it's just me but is it really Mattels fault, if I don't like a toy I don't buy it, I don't blame the toy company it is not their responsibility to parent my child.   Plus why is it any different for my daughter to see "Busty" Barbie or Beyonce?  I just think society is unindated with these images - heck I wear low cut shirts, it doesn't make my daughter want to wear them!   I'm sick of people blaming everyone but themselves.   A doll is not going to turn your daughter into a slut.     What are your thoughts?    Here is a link to the collection and a pic that includes Busty Barbie (can you guess which one she is?).

http://www.barbiecollector.com/shop/shelf.aspx?shelfid=150164

by on May. 26, 2010 at 10:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
periwinkle163
by on May. 26, 2010 at 10:42 PM

i think people forget that barbie makes collectibles also. not every barbie ends up with a little girl, I don't see anything wrong with these but i wouldn't hand the one in the super low cut one to my dd.

sllytnkrbl
by Gold Member on May. 26, 2010 at 11:00 PM

One of the arguments was that these are being sold in the toy aisles at Target - which I still don't see bing a problem because it should be the parent's choice whether to buy the item not the toy manufacturer's responsibility to keep the merchandise away from the child.  I also wouldn't buy the doll for my daughter only because I prefer the more colorful, vibrant, fun Barbies like the mermaids or princesses for her.

Quoting periwinkle163:

i think people forget that barbie makes collectibles also. not every barbie ends up with a little girl, I don't see anything wrong with these but i wouldn't hand the one in the super low cut one to my dd.

usafwife314
by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:05 PM

I don't see anything wrong with them.  All of my girls barbies end up naked anyway...

i.heart.rachel
by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:07 PM

They only have a problem with them because there are finally all different races, so the bleach blonde bimbo white girls got pissed.

ashleyrenee24
by Ashley on May. 26, 2010 at 11:08 PM

I think they are all fine except the one with the low cut dress.

beaugrl0824
by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:10 PM
I honestly would by them for dd's collection, they go on a shelf unopened and stay there. She has other babies for play, but really who knows how much they will be worth in 40 or 50 years. People need to lighten up and get over themselves
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrs.sgt
by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:12 PM

yep and sometimes headless lol

Quoting usafwife314:

I don't see anything wrong with them.  All of my girls barbies end up naked anyway...

possummom
by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:15 PM

i like barbie dolls. i had a ton of them growing up. i never wanted to look like barbie either. which is good cause i have no boobs lol. if any dolls looks like a hooker...it is those brats dolls. they look like hookers on crack. i dont even let my kids have those....much less play with them.

usafwife314
by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:49 PM

Exactly!  I have a 3 year old that is getting into barbies now.  She brought me a white barbie body and a black barbie head today and wanted me to fix it.  And yes the barbie was naked.

Quoting mrs.sgt:

yep and sometimes headless lol

Quoting usafwife314:

Photobucket

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)