• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Am I being Insensitive?? Its just a name...right.........

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:15 PM
  • 65 Replies

I really dont want to come off as an insensitive woman.....but If you wanted to name your child after a deceased relative would you ask the family for permission?? I dont think I would.......I dont think im disrespecting anybody by naming my child after a loved one......do you???

~~ Lady GaGa

by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nemiller
by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:16 PM

i don't think that's insensitive.  i'd think it would be more of an honor or even flattering for the surviving family members.

MyLilPrincess04
by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:18 PM
  • I would think it would help carry on the memory of the loved one that has passed! If they dont like it then maybe they didnt like/love the deseased! Screw em anyways!!!!

BlessedFamily8
by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:18 PM

Its a honor

lbdm2002
by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:19 PM

nope..not insensitive at all!  they should be flattered!  When we found out that DS was a boy, we deicded on Eugene as a middle name...my dad lost his brother at a very young age and his name was Eugene..My dad never cries..but I could see the tears welling up in his eyes when we told him we were going to use that name! 

mrs.sgt
by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:19 PM

In most cases, no, but we did in one case.

We were going to name our son (should we ever have one) after my husband's favorite uncle who died in 2000.  But before we knew the sex of our baby, we asked the uncle's daughters (who are both married, and thinking about starting families) if they'd like to use the name before we did.  His younger daughter said she did want to use the name, so we chose another, but we're having a girl so it doesn't matter right now anyway.

ANandLPsMom
by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:21 PM

I want to name this baby after my grandfather who will probably pass before the baby is born. might not be the same name but at least a rememberance. I don't think anyones going to care because it's my dads name too

rebel_mommy09

nope. my son's first middle name (he has 2) is after my dad who passed away when I was 6. I had to fight to get that name, so basically it was a race and who ever had a boy first got it. 

PookaboosMom

I don't know, I think it just depends on the situation and the family.  I wanted name make my daughter's middle name Marie because it's my sister's middle name and a lot of my close family as well....but dh had lost a daughter an hour before birth 10 years prior, and her middle name was Marie...he wanted to use her middle name but one of the stepdaughters flipped about it so we didn't...now of course dh regrets it...and the daughter that was a twin to the deceased wishes we would have used it....I wouldn't neccisarily ask, but maybe say something, like " I was thinking of naming the baby John Doe (or whatever you know) what do you think?

KristenFowles

Named my daughter (her middle name) after my great grandmother.. I didn't ask a DAMN person for permission, and everyone LOVED that I did it.. i was incredibly close to my great grandmother.. AND my grandmoher (her daughter) and my daughter is the splitting image of my grandmother.. including same birth mark in the same spot.. so I definitely don't think I made a mistake..

If it's special to you to give your child the same name as a relative, do it.

my3boys0710
by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:22 PM

i use my grandpas name in my sons name my grandpas name was richar and my newborns name is mason richard. i didnt ask and when everyone found out they were so happy and loved that i did

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)