Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Booster drama...The email im sending!

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:31 PM
  • 13 Replies

DD's dads parents were driving Marissa (3 years and 32lbs) in a booster, which I am understandably not comfortable with, even though they rarely drove her. I seen the booster a few months ago in their garage and asked DD's dad to tell his parents to not put her in that because its not safe, I also emailed him some good information.

Well now her dad is working a new job and they are driving her to my house about once a week. Lo and Behold she is still in the booster.

So I talked to her dad about it again tonight. He obviously didnt read anything I sent to him because he thought i was being absolutly ridiculous. I told him that it wasn't safe and he told me he didn't give a shit and if I was so freaking passionate about it that i should buy his parents are carseat and tell them about it. Then said he didnt need to deal with this and left.

So I am writing his parents an email to tell them whats up. Looking for links and sites and videos on why DD isnt safe in a booster!

I am in particulary looking for something i saw on here, i think it may have been a picture or something showing all the requirments that need to be met for a child to ride in a booster.

Help me out mammas!

Hey guys! I noticed a few months ago that you guys are using a booster seat for Marissa when she rides with you. I'm sure you had no idea, but Marissa is still too small and young to ride in one. AZ law and the American Academy of Pediatrics says children should stay in a carseat with a 5 point harness until the min. of 4 years and 40LBS. As of now Marissa only weighs 32lbs. The benefits of keeping kids harnessed even past the minimum recommendation are amazing. There are seats on the market that can keep children harnessed to 80lbs! 

I had passed on a bunch of great information on the importance of a 5 point harness to Will and asked him to share it with you, but he didn't. I brought it up to him again today. Reminded him that this is very important and has to do with the safety of our daughter and he told me that he didn't give a shit :( , and that if I was that passionate about it that I should tell you and buy you a new carseat. He unfortunatly wasn't interested on hearing any information about it. So that brings me to this email.

I had no idea about the dangerous of booster seats being used when a child is to young and/or small until the story of this little boy and stories about too many other children who were killed in car accidents where more than likely they would have been fine had they been placed in a 5 point harness.

Please check out this website, they have the stories of a few kids and some wonderful information! http://www.kyledavidmiller.org/car-seat-safety-5-point-harness-is-safest.html

This carseat is a great grandparents carseat because it rear and forward faces, so Marissa, Gabe, and Alexis would all be able to ride safely! http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=13004563&findingMethod=rr&#ProductDetail and its only $39. Money is tight for me right now but I would definatly be willing to purchase it for you to use in your car. Definatly $40 well spent for the increased saftey and peace of mind!

Thank you guys for everything you do for Marissa. You are wonderful grandparents and Marissa is so lucky to have you! Please please please don't be offended! I just want to keep Marissa as safe as possible at all times! :)

Love you,

Tiffany

by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momof2little1s
by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:34 PM

You should join the car seat safety group and ask there.  Those ladies are awesome!!!

I am Kelly, 32 yr old Mom of 4 Girls!  Caitlin 5 yrs, Lilly 3 yrs, Molly born 6/19/09 and my angel Elysse born 2/05/08, married to my wonderful husband Jeff for 6 yrs,  I am a domestic violence survivor,  infant loss survivor, swine flu 30 days in a medically induced coma survivor,  I am a attatchment parenting momma, non CIO momma, and a passionate breastfeeding momma who will breastfeed anywhere anytime my baby is hungry, My girls are my everything and I live for them! =-) That is me in a nutshell!

Worried about the swine flu? Join us:

http://www.cafemom.com/group/H1N1swineflu

MarissasMommy20
by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:41 PM

bump ^ just applied to the group :)

momof2little1s
by on May. 27, 2010 at 12:31 AM

Wonderful letter! Good job!

I am Kelly, 32 yr old Mom of 4 Girls!  Caitlin 5 yrs, Lilly 3 yrs, Molly born 6/19/09 and my angel Elysse born 2/05/08, married to my wonderful husband Jeff for 6 yrs,  I am a domestic violence survivor,  infant loss survivor, swine flu 30 days in a medically induced coma survivor,  I am a attatchment parenting momma, non CIO momma, and a passionate breastfeeding momma who will breastfeed anywhere anytime my baby is hungry, My girls are my everything and I live for them! =-) That is me in a nutshell!

Worried about the swine flu? Join us:

http://www.cafemom.com/group/H1N1swineflu

mama2mycuties
by on May. 27, 2010 at 12:39 AM

I think its great :) My ex doesn't give a crap either :(

You could send them links about joel and belle's gift also:

http://www.joelsjourney.org/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2LFo8vVi04

tinkerxbell
by danger will robinson on May. 27, 2010 at 12:43 AM

Let us know when they respond!

MarissasMommy20
by on May. 27, 2010 at 1:08 AM

Thanks Ladies! I will update you when they reply. They are great grandparents and i am sure they will totally understand!

Hopefully they will slap some sense into their son!

baebear
by Silver Member on May. 27, 2010 at 1:18 AM

BUMP!

easinpc
by Silver Member on May. 27, 2010 at 12:47 PM

BUMP!

threeeunder3
by on May. 27, 2010 at 1:12 PM

I think that the email you wrote was 100 % awesome and I hope that they respond nicely (they should.) We can't expect grandparents who had kids 20-30 years ago to know any of the new recommendations or even laws on car seats. My in-laws think its okay to put my 3 yr olds in just seat belts (smh). Let us know how they respond. Also if they are unwilling to buy a 5 pt harness seat, you could purchase one. Your child's dad sounds like a real asshat, I'm sorry.

threeeunder3
by on May. 27, 2010 at 1:13 PM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)