• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding question

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:43 PM
  • 15 Replies

When do you think it's a good idea to stop breastfeeding yout kids. I couldn't get my daughter to latch on but then again it probably had a lot to do with me being 17 and no one actually showing me how to do it the right way. I did pump for the first 6 weeks though. I am pregnant again and I'm 24 so I'm going to try to breastfeed for as long as I can this time around and if I can't do it again cuz on latching issues then I will pump for as long as I can cuz I'm going to be home alot hopefully for the first year. I was always told that it's a good idea to stop breastfeeding once the baby cuts his or her's first tooth fully. However I read about a mom on here who is still breastfeeding her 4 yr old. I'm not trying to bash anyone or be offensive I'm just wondering when do you normally say ok hands off the boobies they are all mine again!!!

by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AngelicaRenee
by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:48 PM

I would try to do it for the first full year.

I did NOT want to bf when I was pregnant, my husband convinced me to try it (cause it's free!) and I said okay, I'll do it for the first 4-6 months. 6 months came and I said I would do it until he got a tooth because I didn't want to be bit, He got his first teeth at 8 months and we had no problems so I continued. I stopped at a year though because he was only wanting to nurse about once a day at that point.

sunshineforall
by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:50 PM

I know a few woman who BF for 2 years. 

ErikaM27
by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:50 PM

When you feel ready! My son is 13 months and I'm about to just stop . He does have his front teeth and it's getting to the point that he'll bite and that to me is a sign to stop. Some may stop after a couple months some stop after more than a year and a half. It's what you want and what the baby wants too sometimes baby's stop breastfeeding too. No one can tell you a right or wrong time. Good luck!

SuzyQ1985
by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:51 PM

I stopped at 8 months with both of my girls, But doctors recommend it for a year!

pinkbrooklyn
by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:51 PM

You should stop breastfeeding when YOU feel that the time is right.

misssy2000
by Ruby Member on May. 26, 2010 at 11:51 PM

I think its different for everyone. I bfed my kiddos til 1 and 3, and only stopped because I dried up due to pregnancy. When the baby gets here I will see if ds wants to nurse again, and be nursing my newborn. But I think how long is up to the parent and child. I continued to bfed because my kids have been so healthy. There are so many things that most moms I know kids get and my kids never get anyone of it, then swine flu was going around a while and I wanted to at least pass that up if I did ween while I was pregnant.

ashleyrenee24
by Ashley on May. 26, 2010 at 11:52 PM

Quoting pinkbrooklyn:

You should stop breastfeeding when YOU feel that the time is right.

ballerina18
by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:53 PM

I am a big believer of letting a child self-ween.

The World Health Organization (WHO) recommends breastfeeding for at least 2 years. I agree with that 100%

Personally, my DD is 2.5 years old and she is still breastfeeding once a day.

Good luck to you! I hope you are successful this thime with breastfeeding! Be sure to talk to a lactation consultant when you give birth. Don't give up! Check out some of the breastfeeding groups here on cafemom ;)

Rachie7987
by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:54 PM

I BF my son until his 2st birthday and my daughter is still nursing at 9 months.

I never got the theory behind stopping when teeth came in. My daughter got her fist tooth at 3 months and there was no way I was going to stop. She landed up biting me a few times, but we got that taken care of by taking her off the breast when she bit. She got the point fast!

Breastfeeding is well worth it. I have never heard a mom say, "I wish I didn't breastfeed that long!" I only hear them say, "I wish I would have breastfed longer".

KandiceN
by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:55 PM

My kids got their first teeth around 8/9 mo.  It's honestly not a big deal.  It's kinda annoying for a day or two, but then you get used to it.  This is what a lacation person had me do, to see how teeth are a non-issue.  Take a finger and suck on just the tip of it, your teeth hit it right?  Well now take your finger and suck on it to the 2nd knuckle, with your tongue over your bottom teeth.  This is how a baby latches onto the breast and the teeth don't touch.  Kinda cool huh? hehe

I weened mine at 13 and 15 months.  It was fairly easy, they were both ready by then, as was I.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)