Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

S/o for all those amazing 'abnormal' child.. hate that word...

Posted by on Jun. 2, 2010 at 1:20 PM
  • 36 Replies

It's funny I was reading the 'normal' child post at the same moment I got this email which I am going to share. It's my friend writting her story for a book being written by a man named Nick Vujicic. Because I am totally bawling I want to make other people cry LOL

This is my shout out for all those amazing  'abnormal' children. I hope it puts things into perspective that each child is amazing in their own way. Even those who take 2 years to be able to sit on their own, who are just now learning to stand on their own legs. 

This is my best friends story.

Oct. 17th 2007 was a day that would change my life forever. I was booked for a normal run of the mill ultrasound at our local hospital. I was 21 weeks pregnant with our second baby. My husband Craig, and myself had tryed for 10 years to have children, so to be pregnant with a second child only 10 months after having the first was so far  passed a miracle for us it was hard to comprehend. I was ushered into the room by the sonographer, asked to lay down, and the scan started. Immediatly I asked where the babies legs were positioned, because of all the different movements i was feeling i just wanted to see if i was right , but was never answered. Imediatly, and in a somewhat panicked toned she was asking me if i took any medication, what was my lifestyle ect. I was asked to flip over, breathe deep , i was just waiting to be hung upside down with the positions they were getting me to go in...clearly something was wrong. I remember begging, BEGGING! WHAT IF MY BABY CAN'T WALK, CAN'T DANCE, CAN'T PLAY! the sonographer left the room, and came back with the radiologist. Back to the same "upside down, breathe deep" postitions. And then he spoke the words that changed my life, and shattered my heart." Rachel, we don't see any arms and the legs are measuring much shorter that what they should be" . The fear in his eyes was unforgetable...the pain in my stomach was undeniable. So now my baby might not walk, dance, play....AND hug me??? Within five if the scariest days they had me to Calgary for a "better scan" we entered the office, Craig, myself, and our 18 month old daughter, Georgia. Five days of begging, deal making, and praying came to this moment. Would God hear my prayers? Would he give my baby arms? Would he make it all better? At this amaizing clinic they had screens on the wall so the parents can watch the ENTIRE scan. Within seconds everything was numbingly clear. Our baby had no arms, and the teeniest legs I had everseen.
 We were led into a quiet side room where the Dr. started to explain, so softly, so sweetly...."Your baby's legs are very small, missing femurs, and fibulas on both side, and also both of it's arms. now by law I have to offer you the option of termination"
I didn't even breathe again before I answered "no absolutly not" i looked at Craig.."I can't, i just can't!"
I had already lost Craig's mother, my Grandmother, and my amaizing father 2 months before....I was NOT loosing my baby too. This baby was here for a reason, GOD'S reason, not mine. Who was I , or anybody else to say what is considered "perfect"! She was kicking, moving, her heart was beating in my body, my baby, in what ever form, was mine.
We were sent away and told to come back in two hours, we had an amniocentesis to do to check for anything"lethal"
We left the clinic, was i just being selfish? What kind of life would this baby have? i was told on a phone call. For those 2 hours I prayed, I begged God to tell me what i should do, follow my heart? Or follow what so many people thought i should do. My Lord was very clear. As I was literally on my knees in the hallway, sobbing, in the clinic...raise her, like Nick's parents do God's work, to give myself, my family, and this little masterpiece to him.
At this point I could have turned my back on God, but instead like a scared child, I needed him, more than ever, to wrap me in his love, his was my automatic response. Peace flowed through my entire body that day...calm Peace.
My head knew my heart was right. My heart knew GOD was right. He never makes mistakes.
Now Brooke is two! She is no different than anyother 2 year old, she gets into the dog food, make-up, loves to be a princess, and tease her sister. Everyday we thank GOD that we prayed, and we listened what an absolute BLESSING!! What a treasure.
God sent me an angel that day on October 2001. His name was Nick Vuyicic. He showed us that Brooke was going to be more than ok, that God was going to make sure.
i had two choices the day I was offered to terminate. One, to run away from my gift from God.....or to listen, and except my stunning gift.
I am so honoured that HE thought we were worthy enoughto be her parents. I am amaized, and in AWE!

by on Jun. 2, 2010 at 1:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by on Jun. 2, 2010 at 1:26 PM

That tugs at the heartstrings for sure!

by on Jun. 2, 2010 at 1:34 PM

Bump to read later.

by on Jun. 2, 2010 at 1:38 PM

wow i got teary eyed. she is sooo precious!

by on Jun. 2, 2010 at 1:42 PM

I watched a show about this guy not that long ago.  What an amazing story!  I'm glad everything is going great for them!

by Silver Member on Jun. 2, 2010 at 1:46 PM
wow that made me cry, and i dont cry easily. what a touching story, thanks for sharing!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 2, 2010 at 1:50 PM

awesome story

by on Jun. 2, 2010 at 1:50 PM
Damn my preggo hormones this made me cry.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by Ruby Member on Jun. 2, 2010 at 1:51 PM

i remember when my doctor told me, after our u/s, that he didn't have good news for us. i was hoping that is was something like this. missing limbs, down syndrome, i could take it. i loved my daughter already, i could take anything. that's why this made me cry, because they're so blessed to have their DD.

by on Jun. 2, 2010 at 1:52 PM

Nick is a very inspirational person

Here is a video

by on Jun. 2, 2010 at 2:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)