Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

so my son is 1

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 1:08 AM
  • 5 Replies

So my son is one.. Because he's starting to hit everytime we say no and also he starting to throw his toys aggresively.. What do you think I should do?? Is this nomal behavior for a one year old??

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 1:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
jenephertx
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 1:17 AM

Hm...well my daughter started that pretty early but I can't remember when ~ and she still does it sometimes at 3! Its frustrating...but I do think its normal. He's figuring out that he has an affect on the world and on others.

I'd do this: when he hits, grab his hand and say very sternly No hitting! Repeat as often as necessary. As far as throwing the toys....I think maybe he's doing it for a reaction..? If you think so, then don't react anymore. I still have to do that with my girl...she's so aggressive sometimes but I can tell when she's doing it for attention or a reaction and when she's truly frustrated or having a problem. If its the former I completely ignore her, unless she's hurting someone.

JJJMommyKris
by Silver Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 1:22 AM

Well, something you might try is instead of saying no redirect with something else. Such as, we do not throw our toys or that is naughty. I struggle trying to do this but I read it in one of those many books and it says that kids get desensitized to the word no and it should be used in serious situations, like no we do not touch the stove, ect.  I don't know if that will help or if it even made sense, it has been a VERY long day and I am soooo tired but gl! and know that you are not alone, kids test their boundries as soon as they can and I don't think they stop until they are adults themselves.

connorsmom2009
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 1:45 AM

BUMP!

kstanley_86
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 1:49 AM

My daughter does the same thing, except she hits because she thinks it's funny...why I'm not sure.  Getting after her doesn't work because she'll just laugh at you so instead when she uses soft touches I make sure to praise her a lot and when she does hit I'll tell her "we don't hit it hurts."  Like a pp said I try not to use the word "no" too much I save that for serious situations.  As far as throwing, my dd throws toys too but mostly it's just for fun.  If she throws something in anger I know more than likely she's either getting hungry or sleepy if after I've tried making sure her needs are met she still throws stuff I'll just ignore her.

NearSeattleMom
by Ruby Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 7:50 PM

Does he have siblings?  or go to daycare?  It sounds like pretty normal behavior to me.  You just have to consistently correct him.  "Hitting hurts," and "Toys are to play with, not throw."  That sort of thing.

Good luck! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)