Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

This is the sort of sh** that worries me

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 1:38 AM
  • 13 Replies

My friends 18 yr old sister just moved in with her after fleeing a bad relationship. She was a 15 month old daughter that I have watched overnight 3 times in the 10 days she's been here.

I asked her to watch my son tomorrow so that I could go to my appointments since I don't want to send him to daycare. He hasn't been able to keep more than applesauce and crystal light down since saturday.

Well she just turned up at my door drunk, about 20 minutes ago and is sleeping on my couch. She gets into the 'internet zone' when she's online and doesn't hear her daughter. My son even sick isn't nearly as needy but now I'm not sure if I trust her to be awake enough tomorrow to take care of HER child much more MINE. I cannot miss work or my appointments tomorrow. I'm tempted to take him to daycare anyway even though I want him to see a dr before taking him back. He hasn't been himself for 3 or 4 weeks. Eating less, complaining about his head hurting and for 4 days he had a fever, high for 2 days then low grade for another 2 a few weeks ago. I want to make sure it's growing pains and nothing serious.

Now I'm pissed off because she said I could count on her for this, but I don't think I even want to leave HER daughter alone with her tomorrow. That means I'd be dragging her 15 month old to work with me for 2 hours, then to a meeting and then walmart for grocery shopping while my son is still at daycare.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR! This shit is driving me batty. Now I probably won't sleep tonight

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 1:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
monkeysmom21006
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 1:42 AM

Sorry, why is your friend's sister's child your responsibility? It's great that you have the instinct to care for her...But you have to think about you and yours first. JMO.

roseberrymatrix
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 1:48 AM

She's not, but I'm not going to leave anyone child in an enviroment that is unsafe if I can do anything about it. Her sister leaves for work at 4am and goesn't get back until after 3. I'd be done and home by then any. I'd just rather know Aries is safe than risk her mom sleeping through her crying all day.

This kid has had help or something taking care of the baby for her since she had her, now she's doing it alone and still hasn't come to terms with that.

Quoting monkeysmom21006:

Sorry, why is your friend's sister's child your responsibility? It's great that you have the instinct to care for her...But you have to think about you and yours first. JMO.

monkeysmom21006
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 1:51 AM

Can you maybe talk to your friend about it? Something needs to be done. I don't care how old you are, when you have a child it isn't about you anymore. I understand where you're coming from completely. And I totally agree that this time you should step in. But at the same time, someone needs to get it through this girl's head that you CANNOT behave that way when you have a child.

Quoting roseberrymatrix:

She's not, but I'm not going to leave anyone child in an enviroment that is unsafe if I can do anything about it. Her sister leaves for work at 4am and goesn't get back until after 3. I'd be done and home by then any. I'd just rather know Aries is safe than risk her mom sleeping through her crying all day.

This kid has had help or something taking care of the baby for her since she had her, now she's doing it alone and still hasn't come to terms with that.

Quoting monkeysmom21006:

roseberrymatrix
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 1:54 AM

That's what we're doing right now. We're trying. But she left the house after her sister and her fiance went to bed, they don't even know she went out. I'm going to be sure to tell her tomorrow when I see her. I don't mine watching the baby for her, but I've seen more of this little girl in the past 10 days than I've seen of her mother or aunt. Her sister and I have talked about me turning her down when she asks for me to watch the baby. I think next time will be a 'no'. I've had the girl since 3pm today, and from 6pm sunday til 2 pm on monday

Quoting monkeysmom21006:

Can you maybe talk to your friend about it? Something needs to be done. I don't care how old you are, when you have a child it isn't about you anymore. I understand where you're coming from completely. And I totally agree that this time you should step in. But at the same time, someone needs to get it through this girl's head that you CANNOT behave that way when you have a child.

Quoting roseberrymatrix:

Quoting monkeysmom21006:

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 2:43 AM

Not to be mean but if everyone keeps helping the girl, she will never face the reality that she is a single mom.  Perhaps as long as the house is safe for the little one to be in, have her stay with her mom while you take care of yourself and your childs.  She isnt even legal to be drunk so whoever is helping her is in the wrong as well.

mymaddiegrl2
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 2:50 AM

not to be mean but sounds like instead of worrying about  her watching your son you might need to take him in. sounds like he needs to be seen if he has been sick that long.

roseberrymatrix
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 4:48 PM

I did, he has a gastro intestinal virus.

Quoting mymaddiegrl2:

not to be mean but sounds like instead of worrying about  her watching your son you might need to take him in. sounds like he needs to be seen if he has been sick that long.

Suzy_Sunshine
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 4:51 PM

How will staying awake at night address this problem?

SlapMeHappy27
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 4:52 PM

It's never a good idea to depend on undependable people.

mom198005
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 4:55 PM

I would wake her ass up and tell her how it is instead of telling total strangers shes in your house on your couch

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)