Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Muslim moms, your input please? Or anyone else for that matter :)

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 1:40 AM
  • 29 Replies

Question.

I stumbled upon this bible verse, and I wanted to see what you guys think about it. Could this possibly imply that Christian women should wear a head covering too? I've never thought about that, but I found it interesting. What are your thoughts? I mean, Mary did wear a veil...

5 But any woman who prays or prophesies with her head unveiled brings shame upon her head, for it is one and the same thing as if she had had her head shaved. 6 For if a woman does not have her head veiled, she may as well have her hair cut off. But if it is shameful for a woman to have her hair cut off or her head shaved, then she should wear a veil. -1 Corinthians 11:5-6

What do you think?

"Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love." -1 John 4:7-8

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 1:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mrs.sgt
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 1:46 AM

That'd be my interpretation.  A woman and her daughters at the Catholic church I went to in middle & high school wore coverings, not like the hijabs the Muslim ladies wear, but always kept their hair pulled back and covered with their littler veils.

Seashell77
by Bronze Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 1:48 AM

I'm not Muslim, but think this is an interesting question and since you put anyone can answer, here's mine. The period of time in which Mary lived, it was typical for women to wear head coverings. Also in many religions it is considered respectful to cover your head when praying to God. 

memento_mori
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 1:55 AM

BUMP!

OneToughMami
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 1:57 AM

Islam is not the only religion that covers. Orthodox Jews cover as well. It makes sense that in Biblical times that would be written in. Like someone else said it was a common practice among all religions for women to cover.

memento_mori
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 2:05 AM

Interesting...I googled "Christian headcovering" and was surprised that there are many that still practice it (mostly strict traditional). I guesss you learn something new every day!

Quoting OneToughMami:

Islam is not the only religion that covers. Orthodox Jews cover as well. It makes sense that in Biblical times that would be written in. Like someone else said it was a common practice among all religions for women to cover.

"Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love." -1 John 4:7-8

baebear
by Silver Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 2:05 AM

I`ve even heard of Pagan women who covered their hair.

If you can`t dazzle them with brilliance...

then baffle them with bullshit

OneToughMami
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 2:07 AM

My grandmother always covered with a vail and she was Catholic.

Quoting memento_mori:

Interesting...I googled "Christian headcovering" and was surprised that there are many that still practice it (mostly strict traditional). I guesss you learn something new every day!

Quoting OneToughMami:

countrymama4
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 2:34 AM

Guess I am "anyone" lol. Well, here's my two cents.  Although I was born into Christianity I am not a very religious person, however, I do have faith and occasionally pray to God with my head unveiled (oppsies) but  since "God is love" (right?), I believe he will love me regardless and forgive me for all my trespasses and ignorances. Besides I was born bold and he did supposedly create my beautiful head so why be ashamed of it, plus wouldn't he want to see it lol (just adding a bit of humor here so hope no one gets offended or uptight. :)

But on a more serious note, Since I am not an expert on religion, I really would like to know how or why is it considered shameful to reveal your head while praying? Is it suppose to be like a sign of disrespect  to him or something? Someone please enlighten me. Thanks!

Peace.

countrymama4
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 2:37 AM

Oh and sorry I didn't get to read all the responses but I shall return to do so.

memento_mori
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 3:03 AM
I'm not saying everyone should cover their heads...I don't. I was just asking how others (especially Muslim women, because they have more experience with this sort of thing) might interpret the verse, because I've never seen it before. I'm not judging anyone, if that's the impression you're getting...

Quoting countrymama4:

Guess I am "anyone" lol. Well, here's my two cents.  Although I was born into Christianity I am not a very religious person, however, I do have faith and occasionally pray to God with my head unveiled (oppsies) but  since "God is love" (right?), I believe he will love me regardless and forgive me for all my trespasses and ignorances. Besides I was born bold and he did supposedly create my beautiful head so why be ashamed of it, plus wouldn't he want to see it lol (just adding a bit of humor here so hope no one gets offended or uptight. :)

But on a more serious note, Since I am not an expert on religion, I really would like to know how or why is it considered shameful to reveal your head while praying? Is it suppose to be like a sign of disrespect  to him or something? Someone please enlighten me. Thanks!

Peace.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)