Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

AT&T To end Data Unlimited plans!

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 2:55 AM
  • 24 Replies

Poll

Question: Are you happy AT&T is changing up the Data plans? Will you switch carriers because of this?

Options:

Yes! Anything to save money

No because we use alot of data

Wow, no way, id rather switch carriers

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 5

View Results

Yep Starting June 7th AT&T is switching up the dataplans...

You can op to KEEP your current unlimited plan though...(we definatly will)

Heres the article!

My personal take is, that for "shared" plans, this is going to bite customers in the ass badly!!! I was looking at my data useage for month of may, and all i did was play on facebook once in a while and OMG i used 250MB of data... rediculous!! Why would i try to save 5$ or 15$ to potentially go over my "data restriction"??? and lets face it, alot of ppl are going to JUMP at the chance to save money, but will soon realize they use alot more data than they thing and it'll make their bill even higher =( espeically since its shared for as many phones on your family plan. So imagion trying to restrict your childrens useage LOL... Hopefully this doesnt last long and they bring back the option for Unlimited.

Ladies and Gentleman, unlimited smartphone data from AT&T is a thing of the past. Or at least it will be as of June 7th. Starting that day, AT&T will introduce two new data plans to replace its current $30 unlimited smartphone plan. Without a bunch of preamble and crying over the changes, here’s the skinny on the plans that AT&T says will make it possible for “more affordable for more people to enjoy the benefits of the mobile Internet.”

DataPlus

• 200MB of data for $15 per month. AT&T says this will be enough data to meet the needs of 65% of its smartphone users. If you go over the 200MB cap, AT&T will charge you $15 per 200MB of overages.

DataPro

• 2GB of data for $25 per month. According to AT&T, only 2% of its smartphone customers manage to blow through more than 2GB of data per month. Go over the limit and you’ll be charged $10 per GB.

Tethering

• Smartphone users that want tethering and have a DataPro plan can add the feature for $20 per month. This means you’ll be sharing 2GB between your phone and your laptop for $45 per month. Not great at all, but remember this: A 5GB data card plan costs $60 per month. This means — with overages — you’ll be able to have 5GB of smartphone and tethering data for $75 and not have to worry about two contracts. Oh, and “Tethering for iPhones will be available when Apple releases iPhone OS 4 this summer.” About bloody time.

iPad

• The $29.99 unlimited data plan for the iPad has not escaped the chop. Starting June 7th, new iPad customers will have two options: $15 for 250MB and $25 for 2GB of data. Any iPad customers who wish to stick to the $30 unlimited plan are free to do so, but AT&T is hoping most people will opt to save $5 and change plans.

As much as it hurts to see unlimited plans die off (and don’t pretend we didn’t know it was coming), the new rates will make data more accessible to those who don’t have a lot of coins in their coffer. And again, to be perfectly clear, you are welcome to stay on the current $30 unlimited smartphone data plan, but if you think you can squeak by on the new plans and save $5 to $15, AT&T will move you over to the DataPlus or DataPro plan without renewing your data commitment. Awww, so sweet.

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2010/06/02/att-kills-off-unlimited-smartphone-data-announces-cheaper-rates/

They also talk about it here...

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20006534-1.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 2:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
laranadtony
by Emerald Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 2:57 AM

I have boost ,so I don't care.

adri_nevarez
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 2:57 AM

I am glad that I will be able to keep my unlimited plan!  Can you imagine accidentally getting on the internet through your phone and incurring charges?

Wifey0713
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 3:00 AM

Yep lol..

Lots of ppl will be jumping on this to save money because of the economy.. and they will misjudge their usage and BAM a more expensive bill. and once they change to the new data, they cannot go back to unlimited :(

We'll be keeping unlimited no matter what. on the bright side im sure that these plans will help alot of ppl who never use the internet on their phones though. Good for them!! :)

Quoting adri_nevarez:

I am glad that I will be able to keep my unlimited plan!  Can you imagine accidentally getting on the internet through your phone and incurring charges?

alexhuntercody
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 3:02 AM

if you already have a plan you are fine..if you get a iphone or a ipad or anything that needs a unlimited plan after monday you won't be able to..its only for new customers, those customers with existing plans are safe.

ANd i kind of saw something happeneing with their plans after the ipad came about anyway.

jothra
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 3:02 AM

Um, yeah, we will be sticking with the unlimited plan! Sucks though for people changing companies around.

Wifey0713
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 3:05 AM

yep! If they keep coming out with iphones we're staying with at&t as long as we can keep our unlimited plan. but as soon as they say "sorry its not available anymore" bye bye at&t! LOL

i<3 my iphone and my plan.

geistans
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 3:08 AM

I hope the people who change their plans, understand that once they change the plan with AT&T you can never get it back. not even the customer service reps. can get it back, the reason I know this is because I worked for AT&T. I can tell ya, that the people who change their data plans will be screwed because ALOT of people use their phones for alot of things, also Smartphones update whenever the phones need to and for those updates it uses the data that is why data plans are mandatory for Smartphones. With these new changes I am so glad that I don't work for them anymore.

@~~~>~~~  I love my Three Princesses and One Prince! 
I am also step mom to Two great Boys!!!  ~~~~<~~~~~@

To realize the value of one month: Ask a mother who has given birth to a premature baby.

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 3:10 AM

This doesnt affect us since we dont have data phones so will be fun to watch all the people scramble and get confused.

FL2AK
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 3:17 AM

I will keep my unlimited plan.  We have three Iphones on our plan, our bill would be unreal if he did not have unlimited.   

iluvmypreemies
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 3:18 AM

I used to work for another cellphone company and this kind of stuff happens all the time. It will come back.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)