Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Discipline for a 2 1/2 year old?

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 8:27 AM
  • 27 Replies

Nothing seems to work. How do you discipline your toddler? I need some different methods.

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 8:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
b_rod
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 8:29 AM

Be consistant with whatever you do.

MNLETLE
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 8:29 AM

If you find something that works let me know. NOTHING works for my 3.5 year old. I've gone as far as taking all her toys.

_Bamaborn_
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 8:31 AM

Show no fear... Get down on their level...state it firmly....and be consistent..

WLNL0507
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 8:45 AM

Time-out in a boring corner....a minute per age (since your child is 2 1/2...you can do 3 minutes).

ddhb2007
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 8:48 AM

You have to be consistent with whatever method you choose to use.  We tried time-outs, but they're not as effective as taking away privledges and giving rewards.  Truthfully, we've found rewarding good behaviour to be far more effective than negative punishments, although there are times when we do take away her favorite cartoon or cancel weekend plans.

briana_paige
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 8:57 AM

We have a process. You get a warning, then a time out, then depending on what he is doing wrong, he either gets grounded for the day or gets sent to bed until he can behave. He is 3.5.

CafeMom Tickers
lucky2Beeme
by Platinum Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:00 AM

Re- direct , two minute timeouts. Los of privileges. They are expanding their horizons.Testing new things, mostly the are curious and love to mimic what they see and hear.

jdscirto
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:03 AM

BUMP!

allurasmamma
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:05 AM

Re Direct Re Direct.

"No baby, you can't play with this but you can play with that."

"No, you can not touch this but come over here and feel this"

Kids love textures, and smells and just doing what ever impulsively. We have to show them a better way, a safer way to explore.

So, if nothing else is working try this. Instead of punishing, just redirect.

Say baby is reaching for the stove, she wants to cook like mommy. Instead say "no" firmly, and let her play with a pan on the table.

Say, she keeps going to the window, to look out, and it is dangerous, give her a crayon and paper and say draw a window and everything you would like to see out of it.

What is the baby doing to get into trouble?

allurasmamma
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:08 AM

But if you are choosing time outs or any other form of punishment, be firm and always always talk with them before letting them up. Say, "you remember why I made you sit here, and why is that bad, and what will happen if they choose to do it again"  The reason they say 1 minute each year, is because of attention span. If you make the child sit for a 1/2 hour, more in likely they will have forgotten what is was that got them in trouble.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)