Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does anyone meal plan, or cook/ prepare meals ahead of time? UPDATE

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 8:46 AM
  • 30 Replies

I have saw some ladies on here mention that they make meals ahead of time and freeze them...one even said that she made all of her meals for an entire month in just one day. I would love to do something like that.

What are some good foods that can be made ahead of time? Recipes would be great, but even if you don't have recipes, I may be able to figure it out (or I could at least google it). lol.

Also I'm looking for inexpensive, easy meal ideas (these don't have to be made ahead of time since they are easy..lol).

Please help me come up with 30 different meals!! I want to go grocery shopping today, and my mind is totally blank this morning...

Update: Ok, I went grocery shopping today. I only spent $220, and I'm hoping it lasts us a total of 3-4 weeks (depending on if we eat out any or not). That's not bad for a family of 5!!! Woohoo.

Now tomorrow I get to start precooking some of it... That's probably going to take a while..and I don't have that much time left today. LOL

I'm just super excited with how inexpensive it all was. The only thing we will have to go back to the store for is sodas for DH for work, and milk when we run out! =)

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 8:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TwylaBleu
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 8:51 AM

I like to meal plan.  I usually only do it for two weeks though.  I sit down and look at the ads and see what is on sale and plan around that.    I always keep certain things like tuna, chicken patties, tons of frozen veggies and spaghettit sauce, on hand in case it has been an extra hectic day and I need a super fast meal.  Also when I was growing up my mom used to cook all her ground beef when she got it and divey it up into ziplocs so that when she neeeded it she could just thaw it and use it.

1busymomma03
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:05 AM

Checking sales ads is a good idea...I'm doing that online right now. =)

I also like the idea of precooking all of the ground beef. I think I will do that this time too.

Thanks for the ideas!!

Quoting TwylaBleu:

I like to meal plan.  I usually only do it for two weeks though.  I sit down and look at the ads and see what is on sale and plan around that.    I always keep certain things like tuna, chicken patties, tons of frozen veggies and spaghettit sauce, on hand in case it has been an extra hectic day and I need a super fast meal.  Also when I was growing up my mom used to cook all her ground beef when she got it and divey it up into ziplocs so that when she neeeded it she could just thaw it and use it.

ddhb2007
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:09 AM

We've made lasagna, and frozen it in meal size portions.  I've also done enchiladas, and frozen those too.  My favorite is cream cheese stuffed chicken breasts wrapped in prosciutto.  We've made beef stroganoff (frozen the meat / sauce), reheated it, and cooked the noodles when we serve it.  My husband will make hamburgers on the grill, and then we freeze the leftovers for a quick meal.  The same can be done with brats.   Here's a recipe for canneloni.  I also pre-cook my hamburger meat.  Sometimes I'll make it into spaghetti sauce, or mix in taco seasoning.

much2learn
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:13 AM

The library has books on Make-ahead meals, if you need more ideas.

dbldogdare
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:20 AM

This week I'm doing:

Meatloaf

Taco meat (for taco salad)

Roasted Chicken

Roasted Turkey

Stir Fry

Breakfast cups

I don't have a dishwasher so it means only one day of nasty dishes instead of a week full. lol It also keeps us from eating out when I'm to lazy to cook!

bmw29
by Buttcrackncornchips on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:23 AM

There is a book called cook for a day eat for a month. It has some great recipes in it. I love doing this. It is so much easier to just pull stuff from the freezer.

ddhb2007
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:23 AM

I forgot, we've also cooked a LARGE beef or pork roast in the crockpot, shredded it, separated it into meal sized portions, and mixed some of the portions with BBQ sauce, and some with taco / enchilada seasoning.  We've also prepared southwest chicken tortilla soup, ham and potato soup, and chicken noodle soup.  Another easy meal is ham, peas, and pasta in an alfredo sauce.  That's one of my emergency go to meals.

rocknrollgirl70
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:27 AM

i dont pre make my meals.. but i plan meals for 2 weeks at a time

1busymomma03
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:30 AM

Thank you so much. The cream cheese chicken sounds awesome!

Quoting ddhb2007:

We've made lasagna, and frozen it in meal size portions.  I've also done enchiladas, and frozen those too.  My favorite is cream cheese stuffed chicken breasts wrapped in prosciutto.  We've made beef stroganoff (frozen the meat / sauce), reheated it, and cooked the noodles when we serve it.  My husband will make hamburgers on the grill, and then we freeze the leftovers for a quick meal.  The same can be done with brats.   Here's a recipe for canneloni.  I also pre-cook my hamburger meat.  Sometimes I'll make it into spaghetti sauce, or mix in taco seasoning.

1busymomma03
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:30 AM

Thanks for the ideas. What are breakfast cups? My family loves breakfast for dinner! =)

Quoting dbldogdare:

This week I'm doing:

Meatloaf

Taco meat (for taco salad)

Roasted Chicken

Roasted Turkey

Stir Fry

Breakfast cups

I don't have a dishwasher so it means only one day of nasty dishes instead of a week full. lol It also keeps us from eating out when I'm to lazy to cook!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)