Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

No Raise? No Bonus? What do I do?

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:35 AM
  • 5 Replies

I'm not really that hard up... I'm on ST disability through work for a surg I had. However, we didn't get a raise this year because of cut backs and now because I'm not at work meeting my sales forecast, I'm likely not going to get my bonus either.

So what do you all do to save money? I want to join the frugal bandwagon and thought now would be a good time to do that ;)

Do you make things from scratch? If so, what is easy to make from scratch? I heard you can save a lot by making your own laundry soap. Does anyone do this?

Any tips would be helpful.

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
SuperPickle
by Ruby Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:39 AM

I make EVERYTHING from scratch. Breads, pastas, sauces, condiments, candies, on and on and on.

ANYTHING you want to try from scratch google homemade_____recipe and you can usually find something....so just dive in. Practice makes perfect.

Laundry Soap This is an excellent recipe.

4  Cups - hot tap water
1  Fels-Naptha soap bar
1 Cup - Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda*
½ Cup Borax

- Grate bar of soap and add to saucepan with water. Stir continually over medium-low heat until soap dissolves and is melted.

-Fill a 5 gallon bucket half full of hot tap water. Add melted soap, washing soda and Borax. Stir well until all powder is dissolved. Fill bucket to top with more hot water. Stir, cover and let sit overnight to thicken.

-Stir and fill a used, clean, laundry soap dispenser half full with soap and then fill rest of way with water. Shake before each use. (will gel)

-Optional: You can add 10-15 drops of essential oil per 2 gallons. Add once soap has cooled. Ideas: lavender, rosemary, tea tree oil.

-Yield: Liquid soap recipe makes 10 gallons.

RheaF
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:44 AM

I make Spagetti sauce from scratch, and we are trying to figure out how to make our own bread(not having much luck). In the summer we turn off the AC and open windows as much as possible, but on the really hot days I will turn it on low, and we will run around in shorts and tanks(DS runs in his diaper in the house). We buy our meat from either DH's plant (chicken, we get a huge discount) or in bulk from a butcher(they give aus a discount) We buy store brands, and I am starting to (Thanks to I.heart.Rachel for the inspiration) make clothes. DH has not gotten a raise in 3 years and the bonus's were stopped 4 years ago. So we know how that is. You just got to tighten up. It was a bit of an adjustment for us, but we did it, so I know anyone can.

2cool4school
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:51 AM

Quoting SuperPickle:

I make EVERYTHING from scratch. Breads, pastas, sauces, condiments, candies, on and on and on.

ANYTHING you want to try from scratch google homemade_____recipe and you can usually find something....so just dive in. Practice makes perfect.

Laundry Soap This is an excellent recipe.

4  Cups - hot tap water
1  Fels-Naptha soap bar
1 Cup - Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda*
½ Cup Borax

- Grate bar of soap and add to saucepan with water. Stir continually over medium-low heat until soap dissolves and is melted.

-Fill a 5 gallon bucket half full of hot tap water. Add melted soap, washing soda and Borax. Stir well until all powder is dissolved. Fill bucket to top with more hot water. Stir, cover and let sit overnight to thicken.

-Stir and fill a used, clean, laundry soap dispenser half full with soap and then fill rest of way with water. Shake before each use. (will gel)

-Optional: You can add 10-15 drops of essential oil per 2 gallons. Add once soap has cooled. Ideas: lavender, rosemary, tea tree oil.

-Yield: Liquid soap recipe makes 10 gallons.

I am completely fascinated by your lifestyle! So you don't buy any of those things in the store???? WOW! Are you a SAHM? Is that how you find time to do all this?

o0gone0o
by Platinum Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:03 AM

I'm not as frugal as some of the other ladies in here.  I don't have a stove to use so having to make things from scratch doesn't really work right now.  Once we remodel the kitchen we'll be able to bring up an elec. line for the stove since we'll know exactly where its going.

I buy everything on sale. I use some coupons especially love BOGO sales and then happening to have 2 coupons for the items since you can use it on the free item as well.   I buy the kids clothes a season ahead. They are still young and tend to follow the sizing chart perfect.  So at the end of last winter i bought DS tons of adjustable waist tab size 3T jeans w/o spending more then $4 for any single pair.  Shoe's like sneakers are an all year around thing so when I find a pair onsale for $5 or less I pick it up even if its a size or 2 away. I just place it in his closet until he'll fit it.  

Gifts for kids I find like boardgames or other neat toys on clearance and such and pick them up if I know someone in that age range of the appropriate sex. Like my nephews birthday was like 8 months away but I found this splat like boardgame except it was the incredible hulk design but it was $3 new at Toys R Us. I picked it up and when is birthday rolled around I had it there so if I managed to forget or something there was no last minute scrounging for a gift and having to pay higher prices. 

SuperPickle
by Ruby Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:08 AM

I am a SAHM so that makes finding time for it a bit easier!

I very much enjoy cooking , that also helps. I do buy things at the store for back ups and to use in recipes sometimes too, but all and all I LOVE making things from scratch. The less preservatives I can feed my family the better.... Bread and bread products like hamburger buns and rolls is one thing I NEVER buy. I haven't had store bread in over a year!

Quoting 2cool4school:

Quoting SuperPickle:

I am completely fascinated by your lifestyle! So you don't buy any of those things in the store???? WOW! Are you a SAHM? Is that how you find time to do all this?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)