Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My DH wants to go over to Iraq for 3 months to a year

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:41 AM
  • 16 Replies

Poll

Question: Should I be OK with this?

Options:

Yes

No

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 19

View Results

My DH is a A&P Aircraft Mechanic we live in Wichita KS which is " the Aviation town " there has been a lot of layoffs, Luckily DH has not been hit  yet. He has been offer a job through his company to go over to Iraq ( work on military planes ) and make 12,000 a month for 3 months or even more for a year and still come home to his job here. We have a DD who is going to be 1 at the end of the month and we have not been married even a year. I told him it is his choice but inside i am dying, I moved to Wichita ks for him and now he wants to leave. I know no one. All my family Lives in Tulsa. I own a in home daycare so leaving the house for 3 months is not a option.

I am trying to be a supportive wife, but when he moved up here without me we fought every day.

Please tell me I am crazy and that I will be fine here alone.

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lanceandhailey
by Platinum Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:47 AM

My husband is in the National Guard and is a recruiter, he has really wanted to go overseas. He says he feels bad enlisting these guys and not being able to give them first hand info of deployments. He was deployed for a year but state side right after we got married, but not overseas. He asked how I would feel about him volunteering to go over there, and I knew how much it meant to him so I said it was fine. Yes, I am sad about it...but I want to be supportive and not selfish. He didn't get to go last year, but we just got the word the other day  that he is deploying for six months...He will leave in Aug. and be back in Jan., I'm just glad it's 6 months and not a year. If I were you, I would not complain at all about 3 months..He wants to do it, and will make good money for your family...3 months will go quicker than you think :)

Codysmom22908
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:50 AM

I would SO be okay with it!! We could very much get out of debt enough for me to become a SAHM and that would be HEAVEN for me!! lol!

Zoeysmom09

On the outside i am 100% with him on it! It just on the inside i am not. I know that it will be a whole lot harder for both of us if i don't act like it is fine

Quoting lanceandhailey:

My husband is in the National Guard and is a recruiter, he has really wanted to go overseas. He says he feels bad enlisting these guys and not being able to give them first hand info of deployments. He was deployed for a year but state side right after we got married, but not overseas. He asked how I would feel about him volunteering to go over there, and I knew how much it meant to him so I said it was fine. Yes, I am sad about it...but I want to be supportive and not selfish. He didn't get to go last year, but we just got the word the other day  that he is deploying for six months...He will leave in Aug. and be back in Jan., I'm just glad it's 6 months and not a year. If I were you, I would not complain at all about 3 months..He wants to do it, and will make good money for your family...3 months will go quicker than you think :)

isra1986

Talk to him about how you feel.
DH wanted to go as a translator, but there was no way I would be comfortable with that! So he didn't do it!

I am not Palestinian (although I married into the culture). I am human. I
believe in human rights for everyone. Some people may think that this
is not "our" fight, but it is to me, because no matter their religion or cultural background, they are our brothers and sisters in humanity.  I will protest right along side everyone in Palestine. I may not be able to change the world, but I can
die trying.

dbldogdare
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:52 AM

Hey neighbor! I'm in Wichita too.

I'd say no and be scared umm... well shitless to be honest with you, if he did decide to go. I don't think I could let mine go..

fallen018
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:52 AM

I know its going to be hard but you should tell him its okay if he really wants to do it...if you hold him back from  his dreams he will grow to resent you and then you'll have really big issues in your hands....say its okay go for the 3 months and see how it goes if it goes okay maybe he can do a bit longer and if it doesnt tell him so so he can come home...you should at least let him try without giving him a hard time about it...your a big girl you will be okay by yourself for a little while...it will be hard being away from h im but think of what this opportunity can do for your family.

AirForceWife85
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:53 AM

im somewhat in the same boat as you.. i am pregnant and due in august and my husband just volunteered for a 6-month deployment and he leaves in january.  we just bought a house and i am 2000 miles away from my family so i am very nervous being here by myself with 2 kids but he decided to go now when the baby is only going to be about 4 months old otherwise there wouldve been a very good chance he would have had to deploy in about 2 years or so.  i know you said you run a daycare- are you allowed to take some vacation time for a week or 2 to go back home for a while?  that may help

All4OneN1forAll
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:55 AM
well as an army wife, I can tell you it will be very hard, but honestly you just have to support him in the decision he makes and get through it. :)
tclizzle8507
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:55 AM

It sounds like he is trying to do what is best for the overall good of the family. I know it would suck but if it means you guys are going to be financially stable in the long run, I'd let him go.

serioussifL
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:56 AM

DH is in the Army, so his situation was different. But our DD was only 4 months old, and we had celebrated our 1 year anniversary a week prior to him leaving. He left for a year. And I was stuck in Texas... I dont have any family within 2 day's driving, and I didnt have friends. In this time, where people are losing jobs left and right, and money is hard to come by, I say yes. There are ways to communicate, like the phone and skype. You can send mail and pictures.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)