Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Has anyone's husband worked in Iraq, Afganistan as non-military job?

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:09 AM
  • 12 Replies

Has anyone's husband worked in Iraq, Afganistan as non-military job?   doing construction or something similar?  if so, how was the experience?  did they make way more money?  anything else to add would be appreciated.  thank you

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cookie-kisses
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:11 AM

BUMP!

NEWMOMOF1
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:11 AM

BUMP!

Marion27
by Marion on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:20 AM

my husband wants do to that after he gets out of the military

Zoeysmom09
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:21 AM

My DH wants to go because you can make 180,000 a year or 12,000 a month

Jessica00526
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:24 AM

my friends DH did.  she said it wasn't worth the money because they see all the dangerous stuff happening.  He has been working there for two yrs.  This is his last yr and he is done.  Money isn't always the best thing to look for in a job.

nomadbrat83
by Platinum Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:40 AM

I've known several guys that did after they got out of the military and one or two cops that did.  Depending on what job they are going for, they can make great money but money isn't everything.

angellove29115
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:50 AM

you need to find out where they will be working and if it is secured area.  My best friends husband has worked over there, he got injured on the job there in November and was sent home.  Most of the time they work for 6 months and get to come home for a couple of weeks and then return to finish there year out.  They do make good money but you have to decide if you guys are ready for that.  You do get to talk alot though atleast they did.  They used skype alot.  He had a laptop so they did video conference.  The area is safer than what it was a couple of years ago but still dangerous.  Good Luck on this decision.

aMarieT
by Silver Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:55 AM

a good friend of ours (former military) has spent 3 years over there.

because of the job he had he didn't do much "field" work and he was, for the most part, safe where he was. he has made enough that he and his wife were able to pay off their home and vehicles.

A friend of mine (hes a cop) has just accepted a security position over there. He leaves soon for LA for a couple of weeks of weapons and convoy training then he goes to the sandbox. He will be making around 169,000 a year. He signed a 2 year contract

Cookie-kisses
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:00 AM

I know I dont want it at all.  my dh texted me last night (he is out of state)   --how would you like to finally be comfortable, but never see me?

wtf  I said.

he builds cell towers.  I can't imagine doing that there. 

Quoting nomadbrat83:

I've known several guys that did after they got out of the military and one or two cops that did.  Depending on what job they are going for, they can make great money but money isn't everything.

bellasmom_01
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:02 AM
My dh will be working for a security firm over there after he gets out of the Marines in Sept. He will be doing 3months there 1month home. I'm not too sure how I feel about it, he's looking at it as a wise financial move but part of me worries about the toll it will take on our marriage and our kids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)