Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you read? You should read this?

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:21 AM
  • 9 Replies

Any parent with kids going to school NEEDS to read 19 Minutes by Jodi Picoult.

I don't know that it was the best book I've ever read, but I think it's a good testiment about why we can't ignore bullying.

I know that now that I've read it I will not tell my child to get over bullying, I will not tell him that everyone gets bullied....I will get him out of the situation immediately.

A city near me ants to put it on the mandatory reading lists for the highschool, and I agree. but parents are putting up a stink.

Have you read it? What did you think?

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
misunderstood1
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:23 AM

I havent read that but read a book that looks at bullying from the sociological standpoint that is amazing: The bully, the bullied, and the bystander. 

I do love Jodi Picoult though so may have to pick that up...

imthatgirl728
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:24 AM

My husband is sitting next to me reading it right now. It's a great book!

Quoting misunderstood1:

I havent read that but read a book that looks at bullying from the sociological standpoint that is amazing: The bully, the bullied, and the bystander. 

I do love Jodi Picoult though so may have to pick that up...

ProudMom9799
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:25 AM

i have that book but wasnt able to get into it. will have to try again as this is the 2nd time i heard this book come up

imthatgirl728
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:27 AM

The beginning starts off slow because she goes into the past...and in my opinion she goes too far into the past,, but if you get past that it gets really good.

Quoting ProudMom9799:

i have that book but wasnt able to get into it. will have to try again as this is the 2nd time i heard this book come up

zephyrsmommy
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:27 AM

I got it for Christmas last year and haven't had a chance to read it yet.  I heard that it is a great read but difficult emotionally.  I love Jodi Picoult

lvnmylif
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:28 AM

I read it and I came away with the feeling that parents need to not put their heads in the sand and they need to be nosey.  None of the main parents in that story were very involved or connected with their children.

imthatgirl728
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:30 AM

They weren't, and thats reality. How often do you really see parents going through their kids stuff? Even on here when you have those posts most people say they think their teens need privacy. I thnk it's normal for parents to think...eh, this is normal.

Quoting lvnmylif:

I read it and I came away with the feeling that parents need to not put their heads in the sand and they need to be nosey.  None of the main parents in that story were very involved or connected with their children.

laranadtony
by Emerald Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:32 AM

I just posted in the bullying post about one of my son's classmates.It is the news article and this is what parents need to think of as well,if your child is the one doing the bullying and something horrible happens,their life may be ruined.Some of the kids at jemison high school are forever marked by what they did.

much2learn
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:34 AM

ok, I put it on my list at the library. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)