Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My husband wants to go active duty Navy again. (LONG sorry!)

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:27 AM
  • 26 Replies

And I don't know how to feel.

I've been trying to figure out how I feel for about the last week.  I'm so conflicted.  Right now my husband is in the Navy reserve but has decided that he really, really misses the military.  He thinks that it's an awesome way to support our family- I agree.

I grew up a Navy brat and LOVED it.  Everything about it, ok deployments sucked but I got to do and see a lot of really cool things. I still love it.  You get to potentially live in cool places, the benefits are beyond awesome (in my opinion), the pay isn't bad, it's a guaranteed job (unless you really F up), and believe it or not deployments and underway time actually help our marriage.

My husband was active duty before.  He was stationed on the USS Cole and we lived in Norfolk.  But he wanted to get out "for the family" and we couldn't afford to live in Norfolk without BAH.  So we moved to Kansas City to be with my family.  WELL, KC financially didn't turn out so well.  And my husband really misses the honor part of the military and the fact that it's a CAREER not just a job.

My biggest problem is moving my daughter away from her Grandma.  They love each other SO much.  Just the thought of it breaks my heart.  But, we could really use the money, and my husband really wants a career again.

And I know I can handle being a full time military wife.  It's just my DD I worry about.

Plus, I need a new car...........and going in would get me that new car. 

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
isra1986
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:28 AM

*Hugs*

I am not Palestinian (although I married into the culture). I am human. I
believe in human rights for everyone. Some people may think that this
is not "our" fight, but it is to me, because no matter their religion or cultural background, they are our brothers and sisters in humanity.  I will protest right along side everyone in Palestine. I may not be able to change the world, but I can
die trying.

pookah1203
by Platinum Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:29 AM
id do it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Joybeyondreason
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:31 AM

My DH got out and got back in.. and I don't regret it for a minute.   I'm just glad he was able to get back in.  They aren't allowing some to come back.

MovalMomsADMIN
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:32 AM

i say go for it

MamaBloom777
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:33 AM

Your daughter will adjust to it.  Kids are extremely resilient!  If you're ok with it, she'll be ok with it. 

LuvMyPenguins
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:34 AM

Lord, I hated Norfolk... BLAH... sorry, anyway. Do what will be best in the long run. It's a hard choice to live away from family but there are ways to keep in touch. Video chats, blogs, long distance is free for a lot of people. Plus if she's young enough and you and your mom don't mind you can always plan out an extended vacation to visit while hubby is underway for a long period of time or deployed. I always went home when hubby was deployed and stayed with my parents for about 3-5 months and then would spend the rest of the time with my inlaws so that everyone could catch up and get their fill. I would say do it, especially how stable of a job it is and the benefits, you can't beat it. Good Luck!

LoveMyBlessings
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:34 AM

I think every reason that he wants to go in is respectable and admirable, if it were me, i'd support him fully. I think it sounds like what is best for your family.

I would talk to your mom about you and her both setting money aside and trying to do visits every other month. I use airtran.com and they have VERY reasonable ticket prices that include all taxes and bag fees. Maybe if you both do that, one time you go out with your little one and the next time she comes. That gives you a little longer to save money and so on. I think that and using Skype might help your daughter adjust. You have to look at the bigger picture, you know? You loved being a military brat, what makes you think your daughter won't love it?

When he gets out for good down the line, there are MANY military towns FULL of jobs for prior military personell... you just have to look in the right places.

countryspun
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:35 AM

Quoting MovalMomsADMIN:

i say go for it

littleluvkitty
by Platinum Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:36 AM

do it and get stationed in norfolk and we can be friends!!! im a navy wife and i live in norfolk. the cole was terrible. the things that happend to that ship so so so sad. but secruity is way better now. good luck with what ever you choose and God bless our sailors!!! lol

RissaBusch
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:36 AM

Yea, he really wants to do it. In my heart, I know it's right.  I mean, I really know it's right.  It's just HARD. I get all excited when I think about where we could go and seeing my husband be HAPPY with his job again.

He's got drill this weekend and wants to see what exactly he needs to do to get the ball rolling.  He was thinking about going active reserve but now just wants to do active duty. Reserves are locked up for fts until the start of the fiscal year anyway.

Quoting Joybeyondreason:   In

My DH got out and got back in.. and I don't regret it for a minute.   I'm just glad he was able to get back in.  They aren't allowing some to come back.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)