Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My 5 month old........

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:20 AM
  • 9 Replies

My five month old doesn't roll over on his own, doesn't try to sit up by himself, and refuses to eat off of a spoon.

How can I get him to eat off of a spoon? I have tried everything I can think of and he screams and fusses and turns his head away from the food and everything. Any ideas on how to get past this?

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Daisypath Wedding tickers
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
NikkosMommy820
by Silver Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:26 AM

He is still very young... Some babies are 8 months by the time they get the spoon thing down. You are putting an unfamiliar object in their mouth and he's probably just not ready. If I remember correctly my LO sat up on his own at 6 months and rolled over at 4..... Just give him time.

LancesMom
by Ruby Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 8:32 PM

BUMP!

shortstuff69
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 8:35 PM

my dd started rolling over in her 2ond and 3rd mth but still has not sat up on her own and she is 6 mths old..and she has been eating off th spoon for a while... give ur son some time it will happen

EthanBHsMommy
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:36 PM

I think he'll do it when he's ready. Maybe just try once a week and if he still screams, then just stop. What are you putting on the spoon? And maybe you could get those rubber spoons and give it to him and let him play with it. My 6 month old loves chewing on his spoons and it's helping him to get the idea of how to use it.

Kris_PBG
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:38 PM

The recommendation is for solids to not start until 6 months of age.

I certainly would not worry about him not eating off of a spoon, as solids are not necessary at that age and can, in fact, be harmful.

armywifey26
by Gold Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:39 PM

Your baby will always let you know if he is not ready for something. So if he isn't ready for it then that's ok. There is plenty of time. All babies mature differently. No need to rush anything. He will let you know when he is ready :)

Thelmama
by Ruby Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:41 PM

He must not be ready.  My middle child refused until she was close to 8 months and then she took to it like a duck to water and loved to eat.  Some kids just aren't ready.  Relax and don't force him...when he is ready he will try again in a couple of weeks...if he refuse wait again...It's okay.  Hugs.

mom23boys679
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:42 PM

You aren't supposed to do solids til they're 6 months old, it's very common that babies don't lose their tongue thrust til after 6 months, too. Keep trying, that's about all you can do.

allmyblessings
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:43 PM

Watch his cues...he'll let you know when he's ready.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)