Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

take the grade you deserve??? WWYD?

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:23 AM
  • 20 Replies

Last night while getting a few household items at walmart, my 12yo SD informed me that she needed supplies to finish her project that was due tuesday. She put it together monday evening after having an entire month to finish this project. I ask her everyday if she has homework, and check her bag to make sure, and at least 3 days out of the week she tell me no and does not have any work. I check her grades weekly and she is doing well in school. I am aggravated at the fact that she chose NOT to tell me about this project until this weekend and that she chose to wait until monday night to tell me she had NOTHING prepared. I reminded her that she has said that she did not have homework, and she replies with "I dont consider this homework, its a project". Um...hello?? is it something that was to be done at home? for a month?? its homework!

anyway, I felt that she should have taken the grade she deserved for waiting so long (until the last minute) to do her project, but my mother (who lives with us) helped her make a beautiful book out of cloth and cardboard for her project last night. The teacher informed the class two days ago that they could still fix their projects since no one was starting their presentations until today, and she still waited until the last minute, last night, to even mention that she still had time to work on it.

Would you help your child finish a project that their grade for the school year depends on? Would you allow them to get the grade they deserve for waiting so long to do it, then just throw some pictures on a posterboard and turn it in??

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BlessedToBMommy
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:27 AM

yes because they shouldnt be held back for something so small, but we would make a system making sure I knew about everything at that point maybe a note with the teacher

kgsharber
by Gold Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:28 AM

She sounds like a good kid who does not pull this stuff often. I would have helped her. My mom bailed me out so many times and I am doing great in life.

QueenFelicia
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:30 AM

i dont think it matters if it is last minute or not. as long as it was done. i would be annoyed, but yes i would still help my child.

Kaydence2010
by Maggie on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:31 AM
Considering she's 12, honestly no. I did my projects in school last minute but managed to pull off a B. She's at that age she should be more responsible about school work unfortunately. At least that's what my parents taught me after I got out if elementary school
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MovalMomsADMIN
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:31 AM

Quoting QueenFelicia:

i dont think it matters if it is last minute or not. as long as it was done. i would be annoyed, but yes i would still help my child.

Aydans_Mommy
by Ruby Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:31 AM

Quoting kgsharber:

She sounds like a good kid who does not pull this stuff often. I would have helped her. My mom bailed me out so many times and I am doing great in life.

djemMama0725
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:34 AM

Quoting kgsharber:

thats the thing though, she is constantly being bailed out, and given in to. she is disrespectful to me, my husband and our other children, she does not help at all around the house and does nothing she is asked to do. she doesnt have any worries except for school and her project still wasnt done when it needed to be, nor up to par like it should have been. why should she be given in to (yet again) for something she doesnt deserve??

Liyoness
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:34 AM

What does it matter if Grandma helped her last minute or during the entire course of the month?

The truth is- some kids work better under pressure. I was certainly one of them. Even through college I was doing projects and essays the night before they were due. Care to know what my grades were? :-D

Liyoness
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:37 AM

Quoting djemMama0725:

thats the thing though, she is constantly being bailed out, and given in to. she is disrespectful to me, my husband and our other children, she does not help at all around the house and does nothing she is asked to do. she doesnt have any worries except for school and her project still wasnt done when it needed to be, nor up to par like it should have been. why should she be given in to (yet again) for something she doesnt deserve??

Well, what you're describing there is a whole different issue than what you wrote about in your OP.

That's up to you to figure out as a parent trying to teach your child values. It has nothing to do with school work or grades.

cleo1977
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:39 AM

hmm after reading your last response your dd has some issues...shall we say...you said it right when you said "we always bail her out"thats the key... she knew she was going to be bailed out again....and she was....call her out on things she is doing wrong ... dont bail her out and see what happens.i know i am the same way with my dd. but i am on them like white on rye...... my dd had a science project due also....so i dint do the project but i made sure she got it done.....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)