Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

For the religious and non religious?

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:40 PM
  • 26 Replies

Poll

Question: If your not religious would you send a mass card? or IF you are religious would and got a mass card from a non religious person would it still mean something to you?

Options:

Am religious, it would mean something .

Am religious it wouldn't mean anything to me.

I am not religous and I would send one

Not religious and I would not send one

something else

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 27

View Results

I don't consider myself any religion and my religious views are clearly not christian. However, I have many Catholic family members. So when one of their husbands/wives etc die I always go down to the local catholic church and get a mass card for them. It doesn't mean anything to me but to the person who lost a loved one it means something to them. Yeah it is more expensive than a hallmark card but it isn't going to break the bank.

Okay now my grandmother is losing a very close friend of hers. She is dieing of cancer and we know it will be soon. I know this woman very well and she was always rather nice to me. She is Catholic, very church going and all. In fact that is how my grandmother became friends with her.

While I was on the phone with my mother I mentioned that this woman was dieing and that I should probably go down and get a mass card. My mom hit the roof. "Your not religious! You don't actually think that is going to do something for the person! You should stay true to your own belief and not the other person's." I don't agree I think her husband (who I would send the card to) would appreciate the card. More so than just some hallmark card. But she just jumped on me like I was crazy.

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
babyfat5
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:41 PM

BUMP!

babyfat5
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:43 PM

BUMP!

JesusSaves07
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:44 PM

I don't even know what that is....

Nature_Luvr
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:45 PM

I would send one, personally. It's not about you and your religion/non-religion. It's  showing you care about what is happening to a friend/loved-one.

momma_gig
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:46 PM

i honestly don't know what a mass card is, but i am not religious and would not send any type of religion based card. i steer away from anything that says "god bless" or something of the sort because people know i am not religious and i feel like i'd be puting on an act if i sent a religious card. and i feel that they'd feel the same way.

on a side note, sorry to hear about your grandma's friend. she will be in my thoughts.

ETA: i forgot to mention that i would send a sympathy card or a "thinking of you" card. i do agree with sending cards, just not religious cards for me.

vicki77433
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:47 PM

I don't even know what a mass card is. 

I don't pretend to be religious to make other people feel better.  I will send my condolences but they will be non religious and from the heart.

babyfat5
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:48 PM

A mass card is a card you pick up in the rectory that tells the loved ones of the deceased that a mass will be said in honor of them at that church on such and such date and time.

Quoting JesusSaves07:

I don't even know what that is....

babyfat5
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:52 PM

This was basically what my mom was saying but she was a lot ruder. My point is a mass card says that a mass will be said for the person. The person is religious so to them that means something I think it means something to the family of the deceased. That is the belief system they have. maybe to me it doesn't mean anything but it isn't me that matters in this case it is them. I would never send any card that was religious but a mass card. I never send the baby Jesus Christmas cards or for anything else. Just for death do I send this.

Quoting momma_gig:

i honestly don't know what a mass card is, but i am not religious and would not send any type of religion based card. i steer away from anything that says "god bless" or something of the sort because people know i am not religious and i feel like i'd be puting on an act if i sent a religious card. and i feel that they'd feel the same way.

on a side note, sorry to hear about your grandma's friend. she will be in my thoughts.

ETA: i forgot to mention that i would send a sympathy card or a "thinking of you" card. i do agree with sending cards, just not religious cards for me.

babyfat5
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:54 PM

BUMP!

cryssi_renee
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:56 PM

Its a nice gesture even if you are not religious.  I'm not catholic but it would mean a lot to me. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)