Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why do you believe in God?

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:54 PM
  • 11 Replies

I would love to hear of your stories that maybe changed the way you felt.  Here is mine:

I was 19 years old, and didn't really believe in anything.  I was pregnant with my first son, and went to have my ultrasound to find out if he was a boy/girl.  The doctor told me that he had spina bifida....we were devestated.  We were told he had a clubbed foot, and his cerebellum was banana shaped which could indicate mental retardation.  We were also told that he would be paralyzed from the waist down.  My mother worked with this guy, who was a "healer" and when he heard about this, he told me to go into my room, lay down, close my eyes, put my hands on my stomach and imagine that my hands were God's and ask him to heal my child.  It all sounded so odd, but I thought, "What can it hurt" so I did this several times over the next few weeks as I was desperate.  Well, I went back right before I went into preterm labor and had another ultrasound...the doctor was speechless.  I thought something was wrong, but when she finally spoke, she said "His foot does not appear to be clubbed, and amazingly his cerebellum is fine now"  I just closed my eyes and thanked God.  We still didn't know if he would ever walk or not, but those were two pretty serious issues that had miraculously disappeared.  He was born 8 weeks early, didn't need to be on a ventilator  or anything, and spent 2 months in the hospital.  He is now 4 years old, he runs, jumps, walks, and acts just like 4 year olds do.  I honestly believe in my heart that there is a God and thank him everyday for healing my boy.  I don't tell too many people this story because everyone has different beliefs, but I wanted to share it with you. 

Anyhow, when we found out he had spina bifida, the doctor offered me an abortion and I quickly said "hell no".  Well, I just found out, my mother in law's friends daughter just went to that same doctor and was told her son too had spina bifida...and she did have an abortion.  They did not know the miracle story of our son, and I just feel badly for her.  Who knows, her baby could have been just fine too :(

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JessicaNelson21
by Bronze Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:58 PM

BUMP!

IhartU
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 1:00 PM

Sounds to me like YOU did the healing and not god. I believe we all have that power within us but most never learn how to use it. People also tend to short change themselves and don't think they could ever do something so amazing as heal and so they automatically give credit to god for it when in reality, the power came from them.

anyway... I'm glad your son was okay!

JessicaNelson21
by Bronze Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 1:02 PM

wow, I never thought of it like that.  I guess you're right...I gave credit to the higher power because I didn't think I was capable of such a miraculous thing.  Either way...I am glad he is well.  Thanks

Quoting IhartU:

Sounds to me like YOU did the healing and not god. I believe we all have that power within us but most never learn how to use it. People also tend to short change themselves and don't think they could ever do something so amazing as heal and so they automatically give credit to god for it when in reality, the power came from them.

isra1986
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 1:03 PM

It's just something I feel. I don't have a specific story, just something in my self I feel is true.

I am not Palestinian (although I married into the culture). I am human. I
believe in human rights for everyone. Some people may think that this
is not "our" fight, but it is to me, because no matter their religion or cultural background, they are our brothers and sisters in humanity.  I will protest right along side everyone in Palestine. I may not be able to change the world, but I can
die trying.

IhartU
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 1:37 PM

Quoting JessicaNelson21:

wow, I never thought of it like that.  I guess you're right...I gave credit to the higher power because I didn't think I was capable of such a miraculous thing.  Either way...I am glad he is well.  Thanks

Quoting IhartU:

That is what's most important. big smile miniI do feel sad about the friend who terminated her pregnancy. Do you know if she got a second opinion before she had the procedure? Sometimes, mistakes are made by doctors and things end tragically that didn't need to.

TooYung4Dis
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 1:39 PM

I used to but lost the faith as i got older and started seeing the things  i saw

JessicaNelson21
by Bronze Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 3:55 PM

I don't think she did get a second opinion.  But IMO doctors should tell you that everything CAN be ok...it just depends.  Spina bifida can be very bad, but it can also be very mild like my son's.  He has the worst form, but even then, they can still do amazing things. 

Quoting IhartU:

Quoting JessicaNelson21:

Quoting IhartU:

That is what's most important. big smile miniI do feel sad about the friend who terminated her pregnancy. Do you know if she got a second opinion before she had the procedure? Sometimes, mistakes are made by doctors and things end tragically that didn't need to.

RissaBusch
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 3:57 PM

I believe because I think this life and this world is just too amazing to have been the product of an accident or chance.

abjones00
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 4:00 PM

I believe because I've watched him transform my heart and my life. The story is far too long to tell here I'd gladly share on an indivdual level if anyone wants to know but I don't care to have non-believers tearing apart every aspect of my transformation.

KandiceN
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 4:04 PM

I don't know why I do.. I just do.  I was raised in a non-religious house hold.. but I sought it out myself.  I went through a period trying to figure out what it was I was searching for.. and I ended up finding God.  And I'm very glad I did :)

Lilypie - (Cibd)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)