Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you get over it? Kind of long, but, need the advice/suggestions!

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 1:16 PM
  • 6 Replies

I will be sending my son to Headstart (or something similar) in August. His therapists say that it'll help him out a lot. He has autism and SPD. I'm REALLY apprehensive and scared to send him to a place like that. 1) Because he's very....different and I've been able to deal with him because he's my child and I have the patience for him because I love him 2) He's NEVER been away from me or with people he does not know for long periods of time (he turned 3 on May 5th) 3) I was sexually abused as a child (not from a daycare provider, but a family member on my mother's side) and I'm REALLY nervous about someone other than family changing his diaper (he's not potty trained yet, but, I'd still feel this way because a care provider would have to help him use the potty anyway).

How do you get over this? People think I am over-reacting, but I am just scared and nervous. Honestly, if it was my 20 month old, I wouldn't have a problem. She's developmentally fine and doesn't have the melt downs and doesn't hurt herself like my son does.

Am I the only one that feels this way?

Put ♥ this ♥ on ♥ your ♥ status ♥ if ♥ you ♥ know ♥ someone ♥ who ♥ has ♥ or ♥ had ♥ cancer! ♥ All I wish for in 2010 is a CURE! ♥ {{I love and miss you, Daddy. 04.03.64 -- 08.08.08}}

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 1:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
BlessedToBMommy
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 1:18 PM

well I couldnt so my dd goes to a school with cameras in every room and two female teachers per room. Its safer though so no harm and she actually likes the fact  the cameras are there.

superflyinlove
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 1:19 PM

I think you should listen to his therapist and do what is best for your son. 

kylismomma
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 1:20 PM

No you aren't alone...people tell me all the time I need to get my daughter into preschool because she is so smart and ready to learn and she needs to be around other kids..but she has NEVER been away from me and NO ONE watches her but my mom. I don't know. She is developmentally fine and i'm still nervous about it. I'm no help but BUMP!

chairhead28
by Platinum Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 1:26 PM

Yeah, my son is very...smart, to say the least. He knows all of his shapes, colors, can count to 20 and count backward from 10. His problem solving skills are excellent.....he has over a 500 word vocabulary which is really unheard of for a child with autism. He just has a lot of trouble communicating and using language in an appropriate manor (ie: answering 'why?' questions or 'how are you?' he has a lot of echolalia) and he doesn't play with other children (he'd rather be alone), etc.

Two other huge issues: they are going to have nap time and he just does not nap. He doesn't not sleep, either. And, he does not eat. Hardly anything. I just don't want them to push him to the point where he's having a really bad meltdown and is going to need me to come pick him up. I dunno. I'm just really nervous and I dunno how to just, not be nervous.

meganprice24
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 1:31 PM

I am not sure how and if you will get over your fears. I think as moms we all have some sort of those fears. As far as the preschool have you looked into ones that mainstream. There is one here where we live that acutally mainstreams children with autism. They have extra teachers in the rooms and also they are specially educated to deal with the meltdowns and things like that. The one here is Kicklighter , I am not sure if they are anywhere else put its just a thought.

chairhead28
by Platinum Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 5:02 PM

Quoting meganprice24:

I am not sure how and if you will get over your fears. I think as moms we all have some sort of those fears. As far as the preschool have you looked into ones that mainstream. There is one here where we live that acutally mainstreams children with autism. They have extra teachers in the rooms and also they are specially educated to deal with the meltdowns and things like that. The one here is Kicklighter , I am not sure if they are anywhere else put its just a thought.

Yeah, the place he's going to go to does this. At the moment, he's 'enrolled' with our school program and basically, he'll go to Headstart and his therapists from the school program will go and give him OT, ST and CBRS therapy.

Put ♥ this ♥ on ♥ your ♥ status ♥ if ♥ you ♥ know ♥ someone ♥ who ♥ has ♥ or ♥ had ♥ cancer! ♥ All I wish for in 2010 is a CURE! ♥ {{I love and miss you, Daddy. 04.03.64 -- 08.08.08}}

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)