Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What would you do?

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 1:52 PM
  • 20 Replies

DS turns 1 on July 8th which is a Thursday. DH works his usual schedule that day (7-3 AM M-Sunday off on Saturdays) He has to work that Saturday & Sunday which is the 10th & 11th. So that leaves the weekend before his birthday which is  July 3rd or July 4th. It doesn't bother me to have his party on the 4th. I figured we could have a large grill out and a bonfire with some fireworks. We have the pool and people could camp out in our backyard if they choose to. My mother says that she does not think many people will come due to local festivals and firework shows.

Also, DH & I have large families. Immeditate family members there are 63. That is not including all of our close family friends. Do you think it would be fair to ask  everyone  that comes bring either 1 side dish or 2 bagged snacks and their own coolers of drinks of their choice (I will provide drinks for the kids as well as Lemonade, Tea and Water.  We will provide all of the meat and fireworks.

What do you think?

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 1:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KairisMama
by Ruby Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 1:54 PM

We always do pot luck in my family. It makes it easier. I say go for it, ask everyone to pass a dish.

mcelmo
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 1:55 PM

I think it is a splendid idea. My family would go for it.

mommymandaleigh
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 1:57 PM

IDK really when I throw a party for my daughter if I plan on serving food I provide all the food and drinks as well as the entertainment. If your family goes for it then I would do it, but IMO I always provide things like that ! GL for whatever you do !!

carrieasia
by Silver Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 1:58 PM
we also do potluck. whoever's house the party is at is in charge of meat, everyone else brings a side
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
imthatgirl728
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 1:58 PM

I personally wouldn;t do it on the 4th unless you only want family there and you usually get togetehr on the 4th anyway. I would just wait until the next weekend my husbnad was available.

I don;t see anything wring with asking people to bring stuff, but if everyone brings a dish you will have way too much food. I would just ask the peopleclosest to me if they could make somehting.

hallen08
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 1:59 PM
I think it would be cool to do that kind of party. If you let everyone know it's a potluck party, I don't see that they would have an issue with it...
GillyMarie
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 1:59 PM

it depends on how u present it. if its a 4th of July cook out then its ok to ask them to bring a side. but if you are throwing a birthday party i would never ask anyone to bring anything to a birthday party Im having for my child. .. JMO.

A.J.s_mommy
by Ruby Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 2:00 PM

Same here.

Quoting mommymandaleigh:

IDK really when I throw a party for my daughter if I plan on serving food I provide all the food and drinks as well as the entertainment. If your family goes for it then I would do it, but IMO I always provide things like that ! GL for whatever you do !!

beans13
by Gold Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 2:02 PM

I would suggest you do the party as a birthday/4th celebration.....and yes ask people to bring food.

For a b-day party asking for food is a little tacky.

Or - do the bday party and say in lieu of a present please bring a dish.

aoaks2009
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 2:03 PM

Thanks for the replies gals! I'm glad to see so many for the potluck idea. When our family does a grill out that is usually how we do it. I figured because of if being on the fourth it would be a good opportunity to have a family grill out and also incorporate his birthday. I sent an email to most of the family asking if they would be available on the 3rd or 4th. I guess I will see how it goes when they start replying.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)