Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Girls are so expensive....

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 2:28 PM
  • 17 Replies

I have four girls, ages 6,5,2, and 1.  I always heard that girls were expensive, but now I am living it.  Just yesterday my oldest went to have her cheerleading uniform fitted.  Our local hs cheerleaders allow the public to order as they are getting fitted themselves.  That was $250 for the uniform.  The campwear (which is 3 shirts and 3 shorts) was $150 for each girl... Luckily only my older 2 could get them as they do not come any smaller than 4-6.  Then my 2nd daughter had her sign up day with Texas Elite Cheer (a competitive cheer squad)  That uniform will be well over $400, plus the makeup and hair accessories and competition entry fees.  The competitions are all at least 3 hours from us... I love that my 2nd child loves cheerleading competitively, but it is soooo pricey.  My oldest tried the competitive cheer when she was younger and didn't like it... My 2nd daughter does love it and is really good at it too.  I can only imagine as they get older =(... and please, no bashing, it's not that I can't afford it, it's just that I freak about how much it is...

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 2:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
audriesmommy
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 2:30 PM

Just wait it gets worse.  My parents have 4 girls and between cars, college and weddings, they could have bought a vacation home outright.

parkerkamismom
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 2:31 PM

Boys are expensive too, baseball, hockey, basketball, karate, it all adds up.

My son is in karate, swimming and will probably do soccer this summer.  My daugther wants to do soccer and dance, so I hear you, it is expensive, but you just have to grin and bear it.  lol

chiquis
by Diamond Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 2:31 PM

I agree but luckily I only have 1 girl lol. So it makes it more ok for us. She's the only "princess" lol. I am about to make her an appt for her and her 2 cousins to have a salon/spa day lol.

cowgirlsmommy
by Gold Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 2:32 PM

I completely understand.  Luckily, my youngest is too young to do anything yet but my oldest daughter has gotten into showing horses.  That's expensive too.

adri_nevarez
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 2:32 PM

The cars scare me... My 1st 2 are 11 months apart and my 2nd 2 are 15 months apart... They will be just one grade level apart.  I was an only child and was able to get a new car and college paid for without having to work... but I don't know how we are going to make this work... We do have a nice savings for the girls, but 4 cars, college educations, weddings, etc will surely deplete that!

Quoting audriesmommy:

Just wait it gets worse.  My parents have 4 girls and between cars, college and weddings, they could have bought a vacation home outright.

adri_nevarez
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 2:37 PM

Yeah... I suppose anything extracurricular is pricey.  I just panic at all the hotel costs and fees... uniform will be over $400 and then $150 monthly tuition plus $95 entry fee for every competition (9 scheduled so far) and then hotel fees and $25 for each family member that goes to watch... sigh!

Quoting parkerkamismom:

Boys are expensive too, baseball, hockey, basketball, karate, it all adds up.

My son is in karate, swimming and will probably do soccer this summer.  My daugther wants to do soccer and dance, so I hear you, it is expensive, but you just have to grin and bear it.  lol

audriesmommy
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 2:39 PM

My parents were prepared.  But we were spaced out.  We were blessed to have all of that as well.  We have already started preparing for our 2.

Quoting adri_nevarez:

The cars scare me... My 1st 2 are 11 months apart and my 2nd 2 are 15 months apart... They will be just one grade level apart.  I was an only child and was able to get a new car and college paid for without having to work... but I don't know how we are going to make this work... We do have a nice savings for the girls, but 4 cars, college educations, weddings, etc will surely deplete that!

Quoting audriesmommy:

adri_nevarez
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 2:40 PM

Make her a princess!  That is the advice I give people with one daughter... I spoiled my 1st daughter for the whole 11 months she was an only child!

Quoting chiquis:

I agree but luckily I only have 1 girl lol. So it makes it more ok for us. She's the only "princess" lol. I am about to make her an appt for her and her 2 cousins to have a salon/spa day lol.

adri_nevarez
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 2:40 PM

Yep... I can imagine! 

Quoting cowgirlsmommy:

I completely understand.  Luckily, my youngest is too young to do anything yet but my oldest daughter has gotten into showing horses.  That's expensive too.

adri_nevarez
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 2:42 PM

That's great... We were blessed to have sold our 1st house by the time my 1st was born and all that we made was put away into savings, then when I was pregnant with my 3rd we sold our 2nd house and were able to m ake a profit on that.  We have built up a hefty savings, but man... these kids are expensive!

Quoting audriesmommy:

My parents were prepared.  But we were spaced out.  We were blessed to have all of that as well.  We have already started preparing for our 2.

Quoting adri_nevarez:

Quoting audriesmommy:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)