Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Acting Wimpy (PIOG)

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 2:41 PM
  • 4 Replies

OK, so what do I do about this?  My 2.5 year old is kind of wimpy.  In one way he is tough as nails.  He can fall and scrap himself all over and barely cry, but when it comes to things that should be easy, he kind of freaks.  Like we have a small baby pool.  It comes up to his hips.  He won't let go of the sides! He walks around very tentatively and needs major prompting to walk into the middle.  That wouldn't be so bad but the other thing is, he freaks over every spec of dust floating in the water.  He says "buggy" and whines everytime he sees something floating.  Sometimes I don't even see what he's whining about.  I have never acting afraid of bugs around him, and have even picked up worms and beetles to show him. He's never been bitten or hurt by a bug. So where is this coming from?  He's also really careful about everything.  At the park, kids half his size are running and jumping while he is carefully watching every step.  The other day the kids all ran across a bridge that was not loose, but kind of moved a little with each step, and he got down on hands and knees and crawled.  I try to hang back and let him find his own way. I don't say anything while he's crawling or holding onto the side of the pool. He somethimes asks for help with things he should be able to do.  If I know it is something he can do I encourage him to try without my help and prasie him when he succeeds.  If it is something I don't think he can do, I still encourage him to try but will give him a boost here and there unti lhe acheives.  I think that it's fine that he is careful. I am not trying to say he's a wimp and needs to "man up" or anything like that. But I would like to help him be a little more daring.  I just want to encourage him to not fear new things so much.  I am not sure the right wat to do this.  If I push too much, I might make it worse. Like in the pool, I don't want to pull him into the water and give him a true fear.  But if i ignore it, I think he will never move forward on his own.  What do you all suggest?  Any go through anything similar?  Thanks!

Do you love new pictures of your little ones?? Check out my website:
http://www.butterflywingsphotography.com/
butterfly

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 2:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
o0gone0o
by Platinum Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 2:51 PM

My son is the adventurous one my DD though she's the cautious one.  Its funny because he took longer to get moving 10montsh before he crawled first steps on his 1st birthday. She crawled around 6 months and first steps around 9months.  But she fears new things shakes and whines. 

I can throw him into a pool w/ daddy to catch if its somewhere he cant reach. DD clings to me even during bath time.  We allow her to take her baby steps she needs while encouraging her to do it herself, or to let go some of he fear.  They say its a good thing to approach things cautiously usually they are the thinkers of the world. They sense there could be danger and act appropriately. Where as you have the fly by the seat of their pants people(DS) who act first think later.

Bwebb
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 2:56 PM

Oh yea, my boy is definitely a thinker! LOL

Quoting o0gone0o:

My son is the adventurous one my DD though she's the cautious one.  Its funny because he took longer to get moving 10montsh before he crawled first steps on his 1st birthday. She crawled around 6 months and first steps around 9months.  But she fears new things shakes and whines. 

I can throw him into a pool w/ daddy to catch if its somewhere he cant reach. DD clings to me even during bath time.  We allow her to take her baby steps she needs while encouraging her to do it herself, or to let go some of he fear.  They say its a good thing to approach things cautiously usually they are the thinkers of the world. They sense there could be danger and act appropriately. Where as you have the fly by the seat of their pants people(DS) who act first think later.

Do you love new pictures of your little ones?? Check out my website:
http://www.butterflywingsphotography.com/
butterfly

Elayna90
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 3:00 PM
My ds is similar. He is starting do better though. I let him go at his own pace and encourage his by letting him see me and his little brother doing things.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
allsolittle
by Gold Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 3:03 PM
My oldest dd is the same way. Wish I had advice! My middle dd isn't afraid of anything which isn't fun either.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)