Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I wanna know your thoughts and ideas

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 2:46 PM
  • 24 Replies

My son is almost 2 and he still takes a bottle, he has sensory/feeding problems and we want to take him off a bottle and get him to drink out of sippy cups. My sons speech therapist said to do it cold turkey...but Im not sure how good of an idea it is but Im up to trying anything. So my question is how did you get your child off a bottle and on a sippy only?

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 2:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ethans_mom718
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 2:48 PM

bump no one?

FooLynRoo
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 2:49 PM

well I'd say cold turkey but truth is by the time he was ready to off the bottle he only had it at night anyhow.

and we just told him to give it to santa.

and he did

JADIEBUG
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 2:50 PM

Do a strawed sippy. My son has sensory processing disorder and he would not use regular sippys. The strawed sippys work great for kids with sensory issues. I would slowly replace his daytime drinks with a strawed sippy. Then you can replace morning/nighttime with a strawed sippy once he gets used to them. That is how we did our son.

jennymitchell
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 2:51 PM

I just took it away and left the little spill-proof things out of the sippy cups.

jillbailey26
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 2:51 PM

With all three of mine, I just switched it cold turkey.  No more bottles, only sippy cups.  They didn't have sensory or feeding disorders though.  I would say if your speech therapist is suggesting it, you should try it.  It might be better for him to just switch and not linger the bottle.

These sippy cups are great.  They have a soft spout and it's somewhat similar to the bottle... Nuby

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

JADIEBUG
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 2:52 PM

Also this is another great tool for sensory challenged kids. It is a great transitional cup for between bottle and sippy.

http://www.talkingchild.com/shop_HoneyBearCupwithStraw.aspx

Ethans_mom718
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 2:52 PM

Quoting JADIEBUG:

Do a strawed sippy. My son has sensory processing disorder and he would not use regular sippys. The strawed sippys work great for kids with sensory issues. I would slowly replace his daytime drinks with a strawed sippy. Then you can replace morning/nighttime with a strawed sippy once he gets used to them. That is how we did our son.

Thank you I didnt even think about those. I use the soft tip sippy cups and I tried not to give him a bottle but he is so picky and just cried and cried. I felt so bad I just gave in a couple hours later

Ethans_mom718
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 2:53 PM

Quoting jillbailey26:

With all three of mine, I just switched it cold turkey.  No more bottles, only sippy cups.  They didn't have sensory or feeding disorders though.  I would say if your speech therapist is suggesting it, you should try it.  It might be better for him to just switch and not linger the bottle.

These sippy cups are great.  They have a soft spout and it's somewhat similar to the bottle... Nuby

We tried those but its like he knows if there is milk in it and just refuses to drink out of it but if its a bottle he is all over it.

Im a mother to 1 beautiful son. I dont believe in ERF! I delay vac. I dont spank in public, I use a child harness when in public, I love tattoos. I circumsized my son, I havent cut his hair in 17 months, Im a smoker, and occasionally drink a few. I dont believe in co-sleeping, and believe we are all allowed to make mistakes with our children no one is perfect! Im a wife to a union worker, and a stay at home mom

I_never_regret
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 2:54 PM

Although my son doesn't have  Sensory / feeding problems.. This is what we did. We moved to a  Straw and we tried the soft tip sippy cups. ( these leak like a B*tch  if laid a certain way)  Then we moved to hard tops.

tinkerxbell
by danger will robinson on Jun. 3, 2010 at 2:56 PM

I switched my DS cold turkey from a bottle to a sippy.... but he only had a bottle once in a while since he was mostly breastfed... For him it was just a matter of finding a sippy cup that he liked... I got him the Tommy Tippie ones from Babies R Us... he loves those ones and they're the only ones he'll take... But like I said he's breastfed so not sure how to get him off the boobs when the time comes lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)